• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fire TV wont connect via router but does via mobile hotspot.

pwbiggs

Lurker
Nov 27, 2018
I have an unusual but not unique problem. My FireTV stick and Amazon Prime on my LG TV (along with all the other catch up apps) wont connect to he internet. They say they have a good connection to the router but cannot 'get out'. My phone and tablets can connect ok, as does my PC where I can play online games without drop outs at a high frame rate and watch Amazon Prime videos.
The FireTV stick IS working properly. If I set up a wireless hotspot on my phone I can connect to the phone and stream videos OK. The same goes with my smart TV.
So I'm trying to work out what the problem might be and why an IP packet from my PC gets through to Amazon but not one from my Fire stick or TV. Does anyone have an idea? I'm wondering if the stick and TV go to different domain names than the PC uses, in which case it could be a DNS problem at the exchange.
Watching videos on the PC uses www.amazon.co.uk Does anyone know if the stick uses the same address or something else?

Hi, not that anyone seems interested, but I fixed my problem. I had an old Sky router that had become redundant when I changed service providers. I have been using old routers for years as mini hubs and improvised wifi extenders. But it seems using this Sky router in this way was screwing up my netowrk; but only for the TV services. It's disconnected now and all is well. I'll upgrade my network to gigabit switches now to get everything up to date.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones