• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help First post, go easy on me, New Galaxy S3 First Android.

pjw73nh

Oct 15, 2012
Hello,

I apologize in advance for being long winded.

I need a little (lot) of assistance with my new ATT Galaxy S3. I've got 12 days left before my return period runs out. After about a 10 hour time investment. I've got the S3 at least functional. Email (Gmail), Google voice,

Background. I have many years of experience in IT. Several certifications. I am a recent (1 day ago) Android convert. I have no android experience. Been on Iphone 3gs & 4 for a few years. I use my phone for: 1. Email. 2. Phone. 3. Camera. 4. Texting. 5. Web surfing. 6. Very few apps. In that order.

Reason for crossing over:

iPhone likes: Always works, never crashes, simple to use, safely trust apps, Bright screen, Looooong battery life. With good power saving practices I can get 3-4 days on my iphone between charges.

iPhone dislikes: **Screen too small**, very little control over OS, files (music, photos), settings etc., poor voice quality.
----------------------------
What I need....

#1. This is a deal breaker for me. Email (body) font is too small for my (not so good) eyes even on the "huge" setting. They don't expand with a screen stretch (zoom) either. If I could get the emails to stretch/zoom, that would probably wok. This is the number one reason I switched. I use the built in Gmail app that came with it. I am not averse to getting a different email app if necessary.

2. Lock screen. I have it set to "Screen Timeout 30 secs. Screen lock PIN, Automatically lock in one minute after screen turns off." "With Swipe" is NOT enabled. Regardless of the amount of time after the screen shuts off automatically. Whether I wait 10, 30, 90 or any amount of seconds, when I push the home or power button, the phone will turn on in one of two modes. "Swipe to unlock" I then get the PIN screen. or sometimes it just goes right to the PIN screen. No rhyme or reason. I want PIN, and no swipe.

3. Need a notification app that lets me know any and all notifications (txts from Google voice, missed calls, email, voicemail, etc. automatically while the display is off (lock screen) IE comes up on the screen for 10 seconds or so as they come in. Yes, I know about the pull down. I'd like something where I can just look at the device when it beeps and see all pending notifications. Like the iphone.

4. Gallery. When I first connected to Gmail, it downloaded all my photos from gmail. I was dissed, but the more I used it, the more I found it ok. I have a large list of photos on my PC I want to add to the phone, but I don't want them on Google or picasa. Picasa sync is not and has not been checked. Do I just copy these via USB to the "pictures" folder? Is there a better method? They organize kind of strangely when done this way.

5. I still have an iPad at home. I use iTunes for it so I have my music (all mp3s) stored on a NAS box (in itunes folder structure). What's the best way to get these on to the S3. I used Kies last night. It built a library of my music. it did not bring my playlists over. Said it couldn't find them. I did not sync at that time. Is there a better player to use?

6. I like to run a clean ship. I want to remove all unnecessary program, processes and services (that i will NEVER use). What the he&& are all the processes in the background that are running and taking up power, ram and CPU resources? I've never seen so many. How, and which ones can I shut off and/or uninstall or disable? These seem like a big waste of resources.

7. How to remove, disable or change the "Emergency Call" button. AT THE VERY LEAST have it confirm the call. Maybe even change the number it calls. I saw it in the ICE group, but I can't modify it or delete it.

8. Is there a means of "plain" speech to text? I used to use "Dragon Dictation" on my iphone. It gave me two minutes of Speech to text, and then I could copy and paste at will. Is something like this available on the S3 or do I need an app?

I am sure there are many other issues I am going to run into with this learning curve. I understand this and am willing to be as patient as possible in finding solutions.

I certainly appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Hello,

I need a little (lot) of assistance with my new ATT Galaxy S3. I've got 12 days left before my return period runs out. After about a 10 hour time investment. I've got the S3 at least functional. Email (Gmail), Google voice,

Background. I have many years of experience in IT. Several certifications. I am a recent (1 day ago) Android convert. I have no android experience. Been on Iphone 3gs & 4 for a few years. I use my phone for: 1. Email. 2. Phone. 3. Camera. 4. Texting. 5. Web surfing. 6. Very few apps. In that order.

iPhone likes: Always works, never crashes, simple to use, safely trust apps, Bright screen, Looooong battery life. With good power saving practices I can get 3-4 days on my iphone between charges.

iPhone dislikes: **Screen too small**, very little control over OS, files (music, photos), settings etc., poor voice quality.
What I need....

#1. This is a deal breaker for me. Email (body) font is too small for my (not so good) eyes even on the "huge" setting. They don't expand with a screen stretch (zoom) either. If I could get the emails to stretch/zoom, that would probably wok. This is the number one reason I switched. I use the built in Gmail app that came with it. I am not averse to getting a different email app if necessary.

I use the stock Gmail app. You can change the font size under General Settings > Message text size. By default this is set to normal. There are two larger settings: Large and Huge.

2. Lock screen. I have it set to "Screen Timeout 30 secs. Screen lock PIN, Automatically lock in one minute after screen turns off." "With Swipe" is NOT enabled. Regardless of the amount of time after the screen shuts off automatically. Whether I wait 10, 30, 90 or any amount of seconds, when I push the home or power button, the phone will turn on in one of two modes. "Swipe to unlock" I then get the PIN screen. or sometimes it just goes right to the PIN screen. No rhyme or reason. I want PIN, and no swipe.

Can't help you on that one; I don't lock my screen

3. Need a notification app that lets me know any and all notifications (txts from Google voice, missed calls, email, voicemail, etc. automatically while the display is off (lock screen) IE comes up on the screen for 10 seconds or so as they come in. Yes, I know about the pull down. I'd like something where I can just look at the device when it beeps and see all pending notifications. Like the iphone.

It's not an iphone. :p

Having said that, take a look at https://play.google.com/store/apps/...S5ubHVjYXMuaXBob25lbm90aWZpY2F0aW9uc2xpdGUiXQ..

It displays notifications like an iPhone. You can display any app's notifications the same way it would be displayed on IOS5, on your smartphone as well as on your tablet device.

4. Gallery. When I first connected to Gmail, it downloaded all my photos from gmail. I was dissed, but the more I used it, the more I found it ok. I have a large list of photos on my PC I want to add to the phone, but I don't want them on Google or picasa. Picasa sync is not and has not been checked. Do I just copy these via USB to the "pictures" folder? Is there a better method? They organize kind of strangely when done this way.

Simply copy it to your ext SD or use the usb and put the pics in any folder. Media Manager will find it and display in in Gallery.

5. I still have an iPad at home. I use iTunes for it so I have my music (all mp3s) stored on a NAS box (in itunes folder structure). What's the best way to get these on to the S3. I used Kies last night. It built a library of my music. it did not bring my playlists over. Said it couldn't find them. I did not sync at that time. Is there a better player to use?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...51bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5qcnRzdHVkaW8uaVN5bmNyIl0.

(You can use it to sync pictures as well if you so choose)

6. I like to run a clean ship. I want to remove all unnecessary program, processes and services (that i will NEVER use). What the he&& are all the processes in the background that are running and taking up power, ram and CPU resources? I've never seen so many. How, and which ones can I shut off and/or uninstall or disable? These seem like a big waste of resources.

You've never seen them because iPhone hides them. You can disable and hide them from App Manager in Settings, but my advice is to not worry about them.

7. How to remove, disable or change the "Emergency Call" button. AT THE VERY LEAST have it confirm the call. Maybe even change the number it calls. I saw it in the ICE group, but I can't modify it or delete it.

Not sure... never given it a thought.

8. Is there a means of "plain" speech to text? I used to use "Dragon Dictation" on my iphone. It gave me two minutes of Speech to text, and then I could copy and paste at will. Is something like this available on the S3 or do I need an app?

There is speech recognition, but as I've never used on iPhone not sure about the methodology you want compared to how Google's speech to txt works.

I am sure there are many other issues I am going to run into with this learning curve. I understand this and am willing to be as patient as possible in finding solutions.

Thanks.

There are many apps which can help you do things like an iPhone, however you have to remember this isn't an iPhone, and you have information and methods never available to you due to the fact Apple makes you do it the way they think it should be done. However, you should take some time to try doing things unlike you were forced to with the iPhone. You may even find that while it doesn't work the way it did on the iPhone, some things actually work better.

Reactions: pjw73nh
Upvote 0
I'm not sure what the question about emergency call is about. When you press emergency call button, it doesn't dial a pre programmed number if thats what you're thinking. It takes you to the dialer / phone pad bypassing lock screen security

Typically this will only allow you to dial recognised emergency numbers, so as to prevent misuse / abuse of your phone services, whilst not restricting the use with phone security (which you don't want in an emergency).

In the emergency dialer is a + button. When you open that, it will show you any contacts you have added to the ICE contacts group via the contacts app. Adding these contacts means that you are accepting that they can be called via the emergency dialer, bypassing phone security so using your "minutes"

Upvote 0
Hello,

What I need....

Thanks.

2. Go Locker, avail free in market. Most themes offer at least 4-8 customizable apps (email, gmail, messaging, facebook...) I do believe in order to get notifications you may have to use go launcher ex and go notifications also. Not sure though since I use all three. They are all very user friendly, smooth and highly customizable oh and free.It is possible it works independently.

Upvote 0

* No worries. Get it out there so people can help!

* I'm on Verizon. There are some slight differences between carrier's S3s so keep that in mind when talking to people. Each carrier can add or modify a few things thinking (Wrongly) you will go buy their version of the phone).

What I need....

* The built in gmail app rocks. Course it only supports gmail. I use maildroid. Free app. Lets you change default font sizes and also zoom in and out with the two finger pinch thingy. There are a lot of email apps out there. For my work I use Touchdown mail app because it allows me to Sandbox the email app. My work requires I give them complete control over the phone so they can wipe it, lock me out etc. in case they fire me. Sandboxing the email app limits them to just being able to destroy the data in the Touchdown email app.

* If swipe is turned off, it shouldn't for any reason ask for it again. Try turning swipe off and on again to see if that unsticks it. Never seen this happen. Android security os top notch, never seen any kind of bug with swipe coming on on it's own. Are you SURE it is turned off?

* Lots and lots of notification apps. Try 'Go locker' and see if that will help. there are tons of apps out there that do what you are asking here, i just don't use that functionality so can't tell you which one. type notification into the app store and see if that helps.

* You can copy photos via the USB (Actually MTP) and they will appear on the gallery. You can organize them into subfolders as well. You can also turn on DLNA on your phone (Settings/More Settings/Nearby Devices) and then they will appear automatically on your phone if they are being shared on your PC; the PC has to be on the same network for that to happen though. You can also see any type of video, music file or photo on any device on your network with DLNA. You can also upload the photos to some sort of on-line account like Google + or Drop box or whatever then they will appear on your phone automatically. Remember you can also add multiple accounts to your phone. You can add photos to one Google+ account that's not your usual one. or create different gmail accounts, drop box accounts etc. Turn that account off and they all disappear. Re add it, they all reappear. Great for being incognito...

* You can also change out the gallery app to another one. Hundreds of them on the app store.

* Double twist is supposed to be the most identical to Itunes on Android. PowerAMP is supposed to be the reigning music player champ. Personally I use the Google play music app. Look into those. I've found myself migrating more and more over to Pandora, Slacker, Iheart radio Songify etc. lately. Might look into those as well although doesn't help with the issue you mentioned in point #5.

* These are mostly system files and for the most part you never have to worry about them. this is one of the hardest things I had to get used to with Android. This phone has 2 gigs of ram in it so it keeps stuff in memory for instant load constantly. But time and time again they have proven that having those things running in the background does not take up lots of system resources, use up your battery or decrease system performance. Not to say you can't have a badly written app or one that goes nuts on you (Not very often that that happens). Turning them off actually increases system resources and slows your phone down as it has to start them back up again as it needs them instead of having them preloaded. Just ignore the system files and let the OS do what it needs to do in the background. trust me, Android is very efficient.

* That being said you can keep an eye on what your apps are doing via Settings/ battery as well as Settings/Data usage. If you see something draining your battery a lot turn it off or find a different app. You can go in and disable an app completely via Settings/Application manager/Specific App. Just be careful as if something needs that app...

* Not sure if this is allowed legally. All cell phones have to have that option. Not sure if there is an app to modify it or not. Check the app store.

* Speech to text is built into the Android OS already. Samsung also added their won version of it as well. You can change between the two via Settings/Language and Input. Pretty much works with any place you could normally type text on the phone, any requestor or app in existance. just look for the microphone icon in the keyboard. Both work pretty well but the Android one works best. Dragon Dictation is available for Android. Supposedly works well. Its' in the App store. There are a couple others in the app store as well, never tried them.

Thanks.

* Glad to try to help! lastly remember there is more than one app store for Android. Try the following ones as well:

play.google.com
Amazon.com
samsungapps.com
mobilestore.opera.com
m.getjar.com
andappstore.com
m.handango.com
onlyandroid.mobihand.com
insydemarket.com
appoke.com
slideme.org
yaam.mobi

Upvote 0

Thanks.

I've yet to get my S3 I'm using an iPhone just now. when my screen is locked and I have missed calls an texts. I press the lock or home button and it displays anything like calls or texts I have missed with out having to unlock the phone, does the S3 not do this?

Upvote 0
Hello,

You're right, you are a bit long winded. There's no need to apologize. You're very lucky, I've never seen a smart phone with all of those qualities.

I would suggest reading the manual thoroughly. I found trying to comprehend everything after only one read a bit difficult.

Upvote 0
Welcome. My posting will be more of a general nature. As an Android user who not so long ago tried my first iPhone (4s), I can tell you that going either way after having one for a long time, will take a while to get used to, possibly even longer than the two week return period. Just depends on the person I guess. I might also add that the S3 seems to have an unusually large number of settings which is good for those of us that like to tweak every darn detail. Not everyone actually likes all of these "choices". Go figure but that's why there are so many people who like the iPhone, because you have a minimal number of choices and can have it going as best as it can be going in short order. Android phones (S3 in particular) takes a while to really get it the way you want it and to learn every little thing it does. Once you get there, you may very well have learned to appreciate it but many will run out of patience, both for learning it and for figuring out how to make it do everything you want. Nature of the beast I guess. Whether you prefer the S3 or iPhone is going to depend in large part on whether you have the patience for it but I think most of know that if you stick with it, you will find that you will get to the point where its benefits and strong points will start to exceed those of the iPhone (my opinion of course). Simply a question of whether you want to put in the time and effort to get there.

Upvote 0
I've yet to get my S3 I'm using an iPhone just now. when my screen is locked and I have missed calls an texts. I press the lock or home button and it displays anything like calls or texts I have missed with out having to unlock the phone, does the S3 not do this?
It does.

The default lock screen can be customized to have certain applications on the screen which you can swipe straight into. Also it will display a large sms icon and a number on the top right when you recieve an sms. As for emails and other stuff I'm not sure.

I just started using SMS Pop Up which is cool. It shows your texts in a small pop up box when you recieve an sms. You can also customize it to hide the text until you tap the eye icon to reveal the text info (for privacy) without needing to unlock your phone.

Go locker is pretty awesome too to customize your lock screen to display what you want and also shortcuts to any application you wish.

Whats app will also pop up notifcations without needed to unlock the phone if you enable this in the whats app settings.

As for email I'm sure there must be a similar feature for pop up notifications, if not, you can easily add a shortcut for emails and when you see you have an email you could swipe into the shortcut on the lock screen to view it.

Screenshot_2012-10-16-19-13-51.png

As you can see it in action above^
This also happens with whatsapp and other apps too. You can customize the text to also hide the contact too if you wanted. Pretty cool.
hope this helped.

Upvote 0

Not by default. We are helping him configure it that way.

Upvote 0
It does.

The default lock screen can be customized to have certain applications on the screen which you can swipe straight into. Also it will display a large sms icon and a number on the top right when you recieve an sms. As for emails and other stuff I'm not sure.

I just started using SMS Pop Up which is cool. It shows your texts in a small pop up box when you recieve an sms. You can also customize it to hide the text until you tap the eye icon to reveal the text info (for privacy) without needing to unlock your phone.

Go locker is pretty awesome too to customize your lock screen to display what you want and also shortcuts to any application you wish.

Whats app will also pop up notifcations without needed to unlock the phone if you enable this in the whats app settings.

As for email I'm sure there must be a similar feature for pop up notifications, if not, you can easily add a shortcut for emails and when you see you have an email you could swipe into the shortcut on the lock screen to view it.

Screenshot_2012-10-16-19-13-51.png

As you can see it in action above^
This also happens with whatsapp and other apps too. You can customize the text to also hide the contact too if you wanted. Pretty cool.
hope this helped.

Thanks for that.:)

Upvote 0

Sort of. If you press the Home or Power button, you can pull down to display the notification bar without unlocking the phone. I do that quite a bit.

I also use Widget Locker which replaces your default Lock screen and allows you to add app shortcuts or widgets as you please.

Upvote 0
Will an App/Apps that allow me to do this,take up very little battery most probably?
From my experience in the last 2 weeks or so of using loads of apps to enhance my experience like I explained earlier have definitely NOT effected my battery performance much, if nothingat all. I'll still get tons out of my battery in a day. The big drainer is that screen on full brightness.

Upvote 0
WOW !!!! What a GREAT place to come for answers. Thank you ALL for such a warm welcoming and for taking the time to reply to my concerns. Many of them have already been implemented.

EasilyAmused, Thank you for the reply. I already have my GMAIL set on huge. The emergency button is too big. I use a PIN secured home screen. The LARGE emergency button is VERY cloes to the small OK button. It is VERY easy to inadvertently dial 911. The ICE group is un-editable. Can't add, edit or delete.

I found the speech to text (had to press and hold the multi-mode button on the keyboard)

Mrhomiec: Thank you very much. I tried the "stock" email briefly. It does look a little better and as you say IS zoomable. I found that because I have my main font settings for the OS on large (one step above normal), the stock email font was way too big. Anyway i am going to wait and research other email apps. Maybe I'll get used to the GMail app. What are 4.1.2 devices?

SUroot: See my comment re emergency button above. Can't edit the group. Might be a carrier specific (ATT) restriction.

DavidManvell: Outstanding post. Thank you very much. You've helped a lot of people with this. Very very helpful. Re swipe screen. made no difference. Here is the behavior. After 25 seconds the screen dims, at the 30 second mark of inactivity, it beeps and goes blank (it should, I have the "screen timeout" set for 30 seconds). I expect this. At this 30 second point, if I press the home button within 60 seconds, I will get the swipe screen with no PIN lock. One swipe and I am at the home screen. I have the "Security "LOCK AUTOMATICALLY set for one minute. IF I wait LONGER than 60 seconds at the 30 second mark. I will NOT get the swipe screen, but will go directly to the PIN lock screen. No swipe. Now that I look at my settings I "kind of" understand the behavior.

What I want is: Screen to BLANK at 30 seconds of inactivity. Screen to LOCK at 90 seconds (of inactivity). But.... During the period 30 to 90 second period, when pressing the home button, I want to go to whatever state the device was in when I left it. NO SWIPE.

ArtBytes: I checked out enhanced email. Looks like it does WAY more than I need.

Thanks to all.

Upvote 0
If you put a pin or pattern lock on, you can't access the pull down at the lock screen. If you only have swipe to unlock, you can.

When you say the ice Group is un editable, could you elaborate please? Possibly with screenshot?

In the ice group, you should have a search bar and button that gives create or select as an option.

It is possible at&t removed this (they removed other features like samsung dive) but I would like to see your screen please

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones