• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Foreigner needing smartphone selection help!

FirebirdStud

Android Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2010
Minnesota
Hi all!
I currently reside in the United States, but I'm moving to the UK in 6 weeks to study my MBA at Durham University. Im very excited but I have a mobile dilemma..
I am on the Verizon network here using a Motorola DROID X mobile. I absolutely love the phone, its rooted and I was running Gingerbread months before it was rolled out. Anyway, I'm now addicted to smartphones, and in particular Android phones. Here the network runs on the CDMA protocol, and I need to get a GSM phone to work over there. I have a friend working in Alnwick in the North East, running on the O2 network and he said I could get on his contract.
So my question:
-get on his contract and select a phone O2 has (which one then)
-go to Vodaphone which I understand has better phones?
Buy a gsm unlocked phone here and hope I can make it work over there? Anyone have suggestions?
I know there are some varied options here, but trying to do it the cheapest way cuz school is expensive and I wont be working while im going to school cuz my visa wont allow it..
Thanks everyone!!
Cody

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones