• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Frys has the Maxx for $99

Fyi- looks like the maxx it's on sale this week at frys. $99 for both new and upgrade customers.

Fry's Electronics | cameras portable entertainment appliances countertop personalcare home wireless

I truly appreciate the heads up on this! I just went back to Best Buy (for the fourth time....the most recent being yesterday!) to price match. Without fail, it took all of 4 minutes and I walked out with another $53+ back on my Best Buy Card!

Originally purchased for $299 on April 29th, price matched all the way down to $99! Finally, something goes right for me :)

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
I truly appreciate the heads up on this! I just went back to Best Buy (for the fourth time....the most recent being yesterday!) to price match. Without fail, it took all of 4 minutes and I walked out with another $53+ back on my Best Buy Card!

Originally purchased for $299 on April 29th, price matched all the way down to $99! Finally, something goes right for me :)

Thanks again!

Did you have to bring in the Fry's ad to prove to Best Buy that it's $99?

Upvote 0
Did you have to bring in the Fry's ad to prove to Best Buy that it's $99?

For this instance I did, just to save them the hassle of looking it up.

The first time I went in was the week after I purchased mine and I had seen RadioShack had it for $50 cheaper. They didn't even look.

Second time was when Verizon dropped it to $199, again, never checked.

Yesterday I brought in a printout from Amazon showing their $149 deal and she still went online to check (which is no big deal), and today I happened to just have the newspaper ad.

It's pretty crazy that I've been in 4 separate times for the same item within 30 days to price match. I do have to say, all 4 times were done without issue and were done with a smile.

My guess is, with only 4 days left on my 30-day exchange/price match, I won't be making it back in because I found it somewhere cheaper. I've certainly done price matching before, but NEVER 4 separate times within the policy allotted time of 30-days. I've also never saved $200 bucks either. Pretty happy with that.

Upvote 0
For this instance I did, just to save them the hassle of looking it up.

The first time I went in was the week after I purchased mine and I had seen RadioShack had it for $50 cheaper. They didn't even look.

Second time was when Verizon dropped it to $199, again, never checked.

Yesterday I brought in a printout from Amazon showing their $149 deal and she still went online to check (which is no big deal), and today I happened to just have the newspaper ad.

It's pretty crazy that I've been in 4 separate times for the same item within 30 days to price match. I do have to say, all 4 times were done without issue and were done with a smile.

My guess is, with only 4 days left on my 30-day exchange/price match, I won't be making it back in because I found it somewhere cheaper. I've certainly done price matching before, but NEVER 4 separate times within the policy allotted time of 30-days. I've also never saved $200 bucks either. Pretty happy with that.

LOL with all the back and forth, you break even using a whole tank of gas:) I guess one of the biggest differences with this price is it's not just for new Verizon customers which is good since I'm a current customer on a basic phone. I'm just deciding whether to stay with Verizon and get a 4Gig data plan or go to Sprint for almost the same price and get unlimited data albeit slower network speeds. I can get the Galaxy Nexus via Amazonwireless for $49 on Sprint.

Upvote 0
LOL with all the back and forth, you break even using a whole tank of gas:) I guess one of the biggest differences with this price is it's not just for new Verizon customers which is good since I'm a current customer on a basic phone. I'm just deciding whether to stay with Verizon and get a 4Gig data plan or go to Sprint for almost the same price and get unlimited data albeit slower network speeds. I can get the Galaxy Nexus via Amazonwireless for $49 on Sprint.

Haha, actually, there is a Best Buy 1 block from my office, so I've taken 10 minutes during lunch each time to do it.

I would have to caution you if you're thinking about Sprint. To each their own, but I actually just left there to go to Verizon. My only regret is that I waited this long. I was still under contract with Sprint, but I had been calling in pretty regularly since January of last year because of unusable data speeds in an area that shows the best coverage on their maps. After several months of customer service runarounds and complete BS excuses, the straw that broke the camel's back was the interruptions in voice services due to their Network Vision upgrades. If you glance at their message boards on their site, you'll see TONS of posts in Network Coverage that state these problems in great detail. Not just in Chicago, where I live, but Texas has been notorious for these issues as well. Because of this, I was able to have the ETF for both lines on my account waived, and I quickly ran to the new carrier.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose. As I said, to each their own. Sprint may work out for you just fine. Personally, I'd rather throw a few bucks more towards a carrier that provides services I'll actually be able to use. To be honest, and this is quite sad, I'm still getting used to the fact that I can pull my phone out, indoors or outdoors, and actually use it.

Upvote 0
I would have to caution you if you're thinking about Sprint. To each their own, but I actually just left there to go to Verizon. My only regret is that I waited this long.

Thanks for all the info. Yes deep down I know you're right about Verizon. I've been with them for 8 years albeit with basic phones. I just don't like someone limiting me data wise. I'll probably go for this phone this weekend.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the info. Yes deep down I know you're right about Verizon. I've been with them for 8 years albeit with basic phones. I just don't like someone limiting me data wise. I'll probably go for this phone this weekend.

I thought the same thing with regards to limited data, however, you have to think of it this way, what's the point of unlimited data if you can't access it because of a crippled network?

Once I finally got fed up and did research, I took a look at my past usage for the last 12 months as listed on my Sprint account. Because I am covered by WiFi 90% of the time (both work and home), I never once exceeded 1.6 GB of data per month. Granted, this is going to vary greatly depending on your personal situation, but for me, a 2GB plan would be sufficient per month. It just so happened that when I made the switch (and I think this may still be going on), Verizon was running their "double your data" promotion where you pay for the 2GB but actually get 4GB per month. That basically just ensured that I'll never have to worry about going over ever.

Additionally, when I ran the numbers with regards to costs, basing the Verizon costs on a 2GB plan for both lines on my account, it came to a difference of $10 more for Verizon over Sprint. Another surprise I found out, is that I actually get a corporate discount with Verizon of 18% off of my line's data and voice/text services. When all is said and done, my Verizon bill for data and voice/text will actually be less than my Sprint bill.

Again, this will vary for individual needs, but if you look at it with regards to the 2GB plan, for 2 lines, you'll probably be a lot closer to what you'd pay at Sprint than you think.

I was actually pretty shocked when I looked at the "big 4" and compared the plan prices for what my needs would be based on my usage and needs. Everyone was pretty much within $10-15 of each other. Personally, and coming from me, this says a lot, I'd rather plunk down an extra $10/month for a service I know will work when I need/want it.

I can't stress enough that everyone is different and what's good for the goose isn't good for the gander, but my situation determined that Sprint was no longer serving my needs, and it was time to move on. I'm sure there are plenty of people that can respond to this saying the same thing about Verizon/AT&T/TMob/Etc..., but that's just my experience.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know of any stores that will match this price with just the online newspaper ad or a way to get it from Fry's online/phone? I don't have any Fry's close to me.

There is a work around but it's a bit complex. Best Buy online will match if your shipping or billing address is within 25 miles of a frys. You could buy a prepaid visa card, register it with a friend/family member's address who lives within 25 miles of frys and use it to make the purchase on best buy.com.

Or alternatively ship to a friend/family member who is within 25 miles of frys, then have them ship to you, you'd still come out ahead even with the shipping fees.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones