• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

galaxy a21 question

corvairbob

Android Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2013
i got an a21 tracfone in January because Tracfone said my lg k20 was going out of service. well, tracfone unlocked my phone the last of march and i want to put a metro pcs sim in it. my wife just get a new phone and had her old phone turned on for life, so i put that sim into the a21 and it would not work. i chatted with tracfone and they told me i could not unlock the phone and if i wanted to it would cost 130$ but i used the number tracfone gave me and the phone is unlocked.

so how can i get that metro pcs sim to work in that tracfone a21 ? will i have to go to metro pcs store and have them mess with it? is seems if it is unlocked i should be able to just put that metro pcs sim in the a21 and have it work. i looked in the apn on the working phone and it has info in it and i did copy that info into the a21 phone.

so does anyone have an idea why it did not work? when i tried to make a call i got an error message that said the network was not registered.
thanks

yes, thanks. i did half a dozen YT things and none worked. reset the sim setting held the volume down and off button did it 10 times in a row and nothing worked so tomorrow the wife is going to go to metro online first to see if maybe the imei number has to be entered to get it to go. anyway, thanks and let's see how that works.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
yes, thanks. i did half a dozen YT things and none worked. reset the sim setting held the volume down and off button did it 10 times in a row and nothing worked so tomorrow the wife is going to go to metro online first to see if maybe the imei number has to be entered to get it to go. anyway, thanks and let's see how that works.
cool.......keep us posted.

Upvote 0
i guess i do not quite understand take it back. my phone is not from t-m or metro pcs it is from tracfone. changed the font size here. anyway, my tracfone is unlocked and the other phone was locked but yesterday i unlocked it. that phone should have been unlocked years ago she has had that phone on metro pcs for over 20 years. but that should not make any difference. the sim the of a free for life number now may be imie attached to that old lg phone and may have to have my imie number attached to it to get it registered. thanks

Upvote 0
maybe i need to ask this when the wife went down to the metro pcs store yesterday she got a new phone and they put her sim into it from her older phone. they then took the old lg aristo phone and put in a sim that they told her was a one time charge of 15$ and that she never had to pay again and it had unlimited calls and texts ans 2gb of data every month, but maybe someone here can shed more light on that deal?

i wonder if it is she will be paying 15$ a month for that phone number? in this thread, i'm trying to get that sim to work on my tracfone a21 but so far i have had no luck. so she may wind up taking the lg aristo phone and my a21 both to the metro store and having them switch it out or maybe she ca get onto her metro account online and change it out.

but is that one-time 15$ charge for a lifetime number and texts and data for real? has anyone ever got that deal?

thanks

Upvote 0
The $15 is an in-store service charge to register a new device etc. Going forward there would be a monthly charge for whatever plan you're on.
Metro requires you to register a new device with them even if you're putting a Metro SIM in it. This can be done in a store or by phone. If you're a new customer it can be done online through their site, but if you are already a Metro customer it can't. Whichever way you do it, I believe the fee is only charged in the store.

Upvote 0
ok thanks the wife claims there will be no more charges for that phone. so before i set my phone to it i will wait for the first of the month and see if she gets charged for a phone she is no using anymore. she claims this is a new service and it was a one-time setup and the number will stay active and free for life. so lets see. that is why i asked about that part. i think she misunderstood them. and that price will be a for-life charge on a second phone. they may figure if you have an older second phone you are not to likely to use it anyway and they then snipe an extra fee from you every month. but for now to save an argument iw ill wait and if that is not charged to her account then i will see if i can get it transferred to my a21 phone.

Upvote 0
thanks we ahve a few weeks and then when she pays the bill lets see if it went form 25$ to 40$ if not then i will see if i can put the sim in my phone. at thistime it is cheaper to have tracfone at 9$ per month that quit them and then par 15 a month.

thanks i will stop back and let you know how it goes next month.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones