• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S i9000 software update from Eclair 2.1?

Hi, does anyone know how I can update the software from the Galaxy S i9000 (preferably without rooting)? Kies for Mac says it doesn't support software updates for this handset.

There's no software update option in settings - about either.

This is phone currently running:

firmware verision: 2.1-update1
baseband version: I9000BVJM1
kernel version: 2.6.29 root@SE-S603#2
build number: ECLAIR.BVJM5

this was locked to the Orange UK network but has since been unlocked and is running on the O2-UK network

I daren't root this handset for fear of bricking it as I've got two bricked phones sat in my drawer. I am aware that Orange released 2.2 for this handset as a software update, I'm wondering how users downloaded and installed it?

Thanks.

Hi, does anyone know how I can update the software from the Galaxy S i9000 (preferably without rooting)? Kies for Mac says it doesn't support software updates for this handset.

There's no software update option in settings - about either.

This is phone currently running:

firmware verision: 2.1-update1
baseband version: I9000BVJM1
kernel version: 2.6.29 root@SE-S603#2
build number: ECLAIR.BVJM5

this was locked to the Orange UK network but has since been unlocked and is running on the O2-UK network

I daren't root this handset for fear of bricking it as I've got two bricked phones sat in my drawer. I am aware that Orange released 2.2 for this handset as a software update, I'm wondering how users downloaded and installed it?

Thanks.

Follow the steps carefully in this link. Stock Rom 2.3.6 for Samsung Galaxy S I9000 | Android Emotions Roms

It will get you up and running on 2.3.6.
I just did it a couple of days ago. It's really nice!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones