• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gas or Charcoal Grillin' ?

charcoal for me too. to me gas just feel like i'm taking my kitchen outdoors which is fine, but charcoal just has more flavor. i'm actual considering going for a pellet grill in the treager grills......i'm saving up for one, hopefully by christmas. i'm also thinking about getting a pellet smoker as well.

Exactly. More flavor. I have a combo smoker/grill I use. The firebox is on the left side and my grilling area is 42' x 18'. I always set the fire on the left side of the grilling area and keep the right side free of coals. That way I sear whatever I am grilling then move it to right side, close lid and time my cooking by how many beers I consume.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
I prefer coal to grill. I tried gas once and was bored really.

My father soaked his charcoal in kerosene so everything we ate tasted like a 1953 Studebaker :) Propane was a great upgrade in flavor.
Charcoal from a chimney produces a good cook. Propane or natural gas just makes it easy. I never belch propane like a do charcoal flavor.

charcoal for me too. to me gas just feel like i'm taking my kitchen outdoors which is fine, but charcoal just has more flavor. i'm actual considering going for a pellet grill in the treager grills......i'm saving up for one, hopefully by christmas. i'm also thinking about getting a pellet smoker as well.

They are worth saving up for. I love the ease and I love the taste produced from pellets. I do believe that they come very close to rivaling a stick burner but they are so much easier to use.
Today I got home from the cabin at noon and fired up the smoker. I prepared my country style spare ribs with my rub concoction and put them on the smoker.
I then went and mowed my three Sunday lawns and returned to spritz the ribs. Some friends came over and we swapped lies and had some refreshments from the deep ice while the ribs smoked away. The company left and I turned and spritzed the ribs some more, prepared a tossed salad, and started my laundry. I pulled the ribs around six... yummy they were. Easy peasy. My life is too busy to laze and smoke meat. I can multitask and still have a great smoked meat dish. Love it!

Upvote 0
They are worth saving up for. I love the ease and I love the taste produced from pellets. I do believe that they come very close to rivaling a stick burner but they are so much easier to use.
Today I got home from the cabin at noon and fired up the smoker. I prepared my country style spare ribs with my rub concoction and put them on the smoker.
I then went and mowed my three Sunday lawns and returned to spritz the ribs. Some friends came over and we swapped lies and had some refreshments from the deep ice while the ribs smoked away. The company left and I turned and spritzed the ribs some more, prepared a tossed salad, and started my laundry. I pulled the ribs around six... yummy they were. Easy peasy. My life is too busy to laze and smoke meat. I can multitask and still have a great smoked meat dish. Love it!

Nice ! I use a chimney starter for my coals instead of fluid. The smoker I use is an heirloom really. Solid steel and was new in 1972. I have had the firebox rebuilt and a grate upgraded. But the interior is well seasoned.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
My father soaked his charcoal in kerosene so everything we ate tasted like a 1953 Studebaker :) Propane was a great upgrade in flavor.
Charcoal from a chimney produces a good cook. Propane or natural gas just makes it easy. I never belch propane like a do charcoal flavor.
i agree. i actually use a charcoal starter made out of straw that i bought from an Ace hardware store. there is no chemicals it burns a good long time and gets the coals hot fairly quickly.

i actually miss weber charcoal grill. this one had a propane tank where the propane was used only to light the coals. no need for chemicals or anything to get the coals going. it eventually just got worn out. where the seal could not hold the propane anymore and parts from weber were expensive. i also lost the lid while taking it to a picnic and ordering one was ridiculously expensive.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones