• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Gonna build first rom, need advice/help

Snake X

Android Expert
Aug 20, 2011
I've done my research and all (trust me ive looked at a lot of things) and I feel like im at the level now where i can finally go into rom development :D This is pretty exciting for me. As a first project, I would like to do the following:

-init.d support
-GPU UI rendering :eek: (this might be hard and sense needs it lol)
-Beats audio
-build.prop tweaks
-deodexed
-bloatware removed

There might be a thing or two that I might want to incorperate later, but I'll just go through the steps one at a time until I get it. So any helpful advice for doing this? Keep in mind this is my *first* project so i may derp (a lot :p). GPU UI rendering kinda scares me at this point lol so ill try to do that for last. Links for guides on these things would be helpful as well :)

I've done my research and all (trust me ive looked at a lot of things) and I feel like im at the level now where i can finally go into rom development :D This is pretty exciting for me. As a first project, I would like to do the following:

-init.d support
-crt effects
-GPU UI rendering :eek: (this might be hard and sense needs it lol)
-Beats audio
-build.prop tweaks
-deodexed
-bloatware removed

There might be a thing or two that I might want to incorperate later, but I'll just go through the steps one at a time until I get it. So any helpful advice for doing this? Keep in mind this is my *first* project so i may derp (a lot :p). GPU UI rendering kinda scares me at this point lol so ill try to do that for last. Links for guides on these things would be helpful as well :)

You could use the android kitchen. It works great with our phones and I have used it myself.

[KITCHEN] Android Kitchen, v0.197 [Linux / Mac / Windows] - xda-developers

Upvote 0
Yeah but I was wanting to become a full-fledged developer.. not the one who rely's on a noob tool.. if that's what the kitchen is considered.. or do a lot of devs use the kitchen for their works?

edit: A good rom dev friend of mine (playfulgod) has suggested that rather than bein lazy and relying on that to do everything for me I should research what/how the kitchen does its things

Upvote 0
Yeah but I was wanting to become a full-fledged developer.. not the one who rely's on a noob tool.. if that's what the kitchen is considered.. or do a lot of devs use the kitchen for their works?

edit: A good rom dev friend of mine (playfulgod) has suggested that rather than bein lazy and relying on that to do everything for me I should research what/how the kitchen does its things

Smart friend. Once I move to houston in september ill be doing some rom making myself good luck to you:)

Reactions: Snake X
Upvote 0
logcat doesn't work. first time I tried it it said permission denied. Second time I did it nothing came out completely. I did try su also.

edit: seems like its just a recovery thing, /sdcard reports empty when in 4ext over adb shell.. Weird.

edit 2: it boots! It was due to a wrong busybox installer script that i unknowingly ripped out of a toshiba thrive thread XD

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones