• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google+ interests search

Is there a way to search people using their Interests? For example I want to have a Circle called vegan, and follow and post to other vegan. The only way I see to search is by username, which is limited.

Google + seems like it would be great for specific interest based groups.

I'm thinking as you post that message to that "circle" and publicly, others will read it and that "circle" will grow from there.

I assume, situations like this, is why the program is still semi-closed.

Upvote 0
Well, the message I post would go to my current contacts in my circles. None of which are vegan. So that would go nowhere, except a few jokes. :p

But yeah, I see great potential in Google+ and I'm sure they're building it out.

I love the concept of circles because then I can view only streams I want. The vegan one and other I can view less often. That's awesome.

Upvote 0
Well, the message I post would go to my current contacts in my circles. None of which are vegan. So that would go nowhere, except a few jokes. :p

But yeah, I see great potential in Google+ and I'm sure they're building it out.

I love the concept of circles because then I can view only streams I want. The vegan one and other I can view less often. That's awesome.

If you dont chose a circle it goes public, like twitter. If you dont want something to go public, then you click the "circle" or "circles" that you want to see that particular post.

Reactions: SeekerOfTheWay
Upvote 0
I looked through Sparks. I just saw article and blogs. Couldn't find users.

I don't think you'll find users, until you'll post things that you and others BOTH find interesting. Then you can start to build relationships with those people and create circles. The way I understand it, it prevents you from just adding a bunch of people you dont know.

Upvote 0
Sorry about trolling your post Seeker...now I feel bad.

Anyways, the sparks thing isn't for finding people. It's akin to liking a bunch of movies or video games or whatever on Facebook. The updates from them aggregate in your stream. Accept in G+, they stay out of your stream (thank God!) and in the sparks section.

Although it would seem logical for you to be able to search for ppl based on common interests and it would seem sparks would be an efficient way of doing that...

Upvote 0
Yes, I checked out Sparks more. Just looks like news and blogs.

You keep saying that. Does my earlier explation not make sense. You share a spark in public and other people you may or may not know will comment. This will further extend/enlarge your circles.

Again, TO ME, Google plus is about strenthening the relationships with people you currently know, not just having random people, you'll never meet, (or friends, of friends of friends) comment on posts.

YouTube - ‪The Google+ project: Sparks‬‏

Upvote 0
No, I get it. And I shared a spark. Problem is, like I said, it was just a news item. I know I never comment on blogs or news Items so sparks aren't a good way to connect with others that share an interest.

For example, I share a vegan spark, and a bunch of anti peta folks reply about jow stupid veganism is.

This doesnt achieve the goal I set.

I Only have people i onow personally on my g+. However, i dont know any vegans in real life or online. I'd be interested in sharing tips, recipes and restaurants.

Everyone will use g+ differently I guess.

I also tried to post a public steam asking if there are other vegans on g+. That got trolled too.

Hence, why I want the ability to search g+ users by interest.

Upvote 0
You would experience a similar result if you shared a spark about Android. Youll get iphone users bashing Android. I'm not looking for debates on g+, just others with an interest that I share. It's always that way when you put something out in public, people love to hate or debate. I'm not into that.

Otherwise, yes, I only have close friends and family on my g+.

Upvote 0
No, I get it. And I shared a spark. Problem is, like I said, it was just a news item. I know I never comment on blogs or news Items so sparks aren't a good way to connect with others that share an interest.

For example, I share a vegan spark, and a bunch of anti peta folks reply about jow stupid veganism is.

This doesnt achieve the goal I set.

I Only have people i onow personally on my g+. However, i dont know any vegans in real life or online. I'd be interested in sharing tips, recipes and restaurants.

Everyone will use g+ differently I guess.

I also tried to post a public steam asking if there are other vegans on g+. That got trolled too.

Hence, why I want the ability to search g+ users by interest.

As earlier adopters/adapters, I think you may be asking for too much to soon as the user database is still very small.

Reactions: SeekerOfTheWay
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones