• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Play

I went to download updates for my Bionic this morning from Android Market. After downloading and installing three updates I get the conversion to Google Play notice. After accepting it ...

The Android Market icon is not on my home page.
The Android Market widget is not on my Bionic.
I did a system reset and they are still missing.

I repeated the same process on my Droid X.
The Android Market icon is on my home page.
The Android Market widget is on my Droid X.

(The Bionic is my production machine and the Droid X is my test machine (WiFi only).)
Revision ... sure ... I really needed this ...

I found Play Store in the App Drawer.

Makes total sense to me ... you have INTERNATIONAL recognition of the phrase Aneroid Market ... let's change it so something really childish.

Thank you Google.

... Thom

Upvote 0
screenshot-1331141632879.png

When you see that you have been updated

Upvote 0
I don't like the name or the new icon. When I first heard "Play", I thought of Sony and Xperia rather than Google and Android. I think it's an absolutely stupid name. Of course, that's just my opinion.
I don't know what they were thinking. A few people I talked to about this thought the same thing about the name and Sony. One even asked me if Sony bought Android.

Upvote 0
By accident or design, Google certainly seem to be benefiting from the age old adage :-

"Any publicity is good publicity.
(also There's no such thing as bad publicity.)

Definition
said to emphasize that it is better that something receives bad publicity than no publicity at all."

(Definition of Any publicity is good publicity. from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus

Upvote 0
Although I'm not particularly bothered about what Google call it, they are not helping to make the name change a smooth process, hence my response in a thread in 'Android Lounge' :-

"On my HTC Desire S the 'Market' app disappeared and 'Play Shop' app appeared at the same time in the main app list ie Google is not part of the app title. Although as already commented on, it does appear as 'Google Play Store' in 'Manage Applications' (the icon is the same in both). It would help if Google was consistent!!!"

I don't have a music tab either, just apps, books and movies. Can only assume it's on its way.

Upvote 0
Problem I'm getting with the Play Store, is that there doesn't seem to be any form of localisation. When it launches paid apps and games appear to the main feature, however those are NOT available here, so the Play app crashes. The old Market worked just fine and would only show the free apps and games.

Also why the name Play? That brings to mind music, but there's no music there.

Upvote 0
I don't mind the name or the logo. "Android" was cooler but google play is acceptable. It'll be an acquired taste like pink.

I think it's annoying that google play holds on to the history of every app that was ever downloaded and installed with no way to clear the junk or delete specific apps off the list.

I was trying to find a way to remove that and I stumbled on a vote-able suggestion on google moderator.

I'm still a new member so I can't post a link but it's on this: www(dot)google(dot)com/moderator/#9/e=1d33&g=google+play

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones