• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] How to animate your status bar dropdown background

ShinySide

Extreme Android User
Jul 30, 2011
Palm Bay, Florida
Animated status bar pulldown for GB roms

First off this should work with all GB based roms that use systemui.apk
there may be subtle differences but the basics should be the same all around.

and it's so simple that you'll love how fast you can integrate this into ROM's / themes / whatever your heart desires

1. take your systemui.apk and decompile it

2. navigate to layout folder

3. grab "status_bar_tracking.xml" and open it up in your editor
(now for the fun)

4. to the first line - "com.android.systemui.statusbar.TrackingView" add this ""android:background="@drawable/nameofyourxml""
<com.android.systemui.statusbar.TrackingView android:background="@drawable/nameofyourxml>

5. after saving that, navigate back into the drawable folder and add your animation.xml file there

5a. next navigate into the drawable/hdpi folder and add your animated images

6. also in the drawable/hdpi folder find and open up the shade_bg.png with your editor and make it 100% transparent (I actually skipped this step and just used a transparent image for the "normal" background)

7. now it's time to recompile your apk , following all the usual directions with that

8. enjoy your newly created systemui.apk with a pretty animated background. new and fresh and unlike anything before

that's it. done deal. it's super easy and fast and breathes life into true customization.
I used the stat_sys_download.xml in the drawable folder as my base for my animation.xml all I had to do was change the image names.
also you'll notice above - don't copy it word for word on the xml.
I did the "..." meaning whatever you decide to name your file.

Animated Status Bar LG - YouTube

ha - YouTube

haha i figured out a flaw in your guide bro ;)

when adding the "android:background="@drawable/...anim.xml" line DO NOT actually type '.xml' in the line lol, just type the "name" of your xml file

Oh I know thats why I did the ....amim.xml... so people would know that was where you put the name of the .xml you edited. Thats why I put the "..." meaning whatever you decide to name your file. Should of put android:background="@drawable/Name of your xml file" ;)

But youre right. If you name your xml file blahblah then your line will be

android:background="@drawable/blahblah"

Upvote 0
Oh I know thats why I did the ....amim.xml... so people would know that was where you put the name of the .xml you edited. Thats why I put the "..." meaning whatever you decide to name your file. Should of put android:background="@drawable/Name of your xml file" ;)

But youre right. If you name your xml file blahblah then your line will be

android:background="@drawable/blahblah"
haha yeah i had a feeling thats the messege you were trying to get across :D just took me a few bad compilations to realize where i went wrong lolol honestly i would suggest just providing the files in a zip for this mod :D dont let them name there own xml's lol you never know what we'll end up with a few months down the road haha, btw i named mine 'stat_anim.xml' feel it fits in good with MOD :D lol

thanks for the guide btw, great MOD :D

Reactions: richardj
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones