• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help unlocking phone

DirtyDee

Android Expert
Mar 18, 2013
Detroit Michigan
I recently bought a att phone with the intent of unlocking ,without realizing how much the unlocking process has changed, I am not a att customer which is required to be unlocked by them. Is anyone willing to take my iemi and get the unlock code I need or point me in the direction of a reputable unlock service.

I recently bought a att phone with the intent of unlocking ,without realizing how much the unlocking process has changed, I am not a att customer which is required to be unlocked by them. Is anyone willing to take my iemi and get the unlock code I need or point me in the direction of a reputable unlock service.
The only one who can request an unlock from AT&T for your phone is the original owner since the phone is tied to their account. Maybe you can email the seller and offer a small fee if they request the unlock for you.

Upvote 0
The seller was cellular stream bought it off eBay so who ever is the original owner is I can't find... All I know is they want your number iemi and account info name SSN etc who is to say they don't own it?
The IMEI is linked to the account of the original owner so if you can't contact the owner, looks like no official unlock from AT&T. And yes, AT&T has records of the name and SSN of subscribers and IMEI of phones linked to the account.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with any unlocking service in the US or online so I can't really recommend one to you.

Upvote 0
What kind of phone is it and unlocking has changed . back in the day many guys say this is a unlock code and it wasn't . oh yes you lost money from it and think a few months back a law was passed that said we couldn't unlock if I remember they lifted the law . now I had to get a device unlocked called Verizon global they gave it to me without any problems . I think how old the device is makes a difference. Try it out if they say no what kind of device is it .

Upvote 0
September of 2013 I bought an atrix off eBay, called att and they unlocked it no hassle, this month bought a Sony xperia tl said only the owner can unlock the phone... Guess what I am the owner now and I can't unlock it because I don't use att I bought it from cellular stream I checked imei on swappa its fine as well.

Call back. It might depend who you talk to. Try a few times.

Upvote 0
I Dont know which Sony devic you got and Dont know if your rooted

Wow I take that back I thought I see didn't know they got a new team leader. They learned how to play and its not easy anymore . the person I just spoken to said its due to stolen devices that made it this hard and you have to finish your 1 year contract to get the code . wow:eek::screwy::what::thumbdown:

Upvote 0
Wow I take that back I thought I see didn't know they got a new team leader. They learned how to play and its not easy anymore . the person I just spoken to said its due to stolen devices that made it this hard and you have to finish your 1 year contract to get the code . wow:eek::screwy::what::thumbdown:

The a phone that I can't use unless i my trust in unlocking services that really don't see use to have reviews, how long ago were you the death star?

Upvote 0
I Dont know about not using but its a few good ones out there they work or if u live near a secondary cellular store such as something like page plus and maybe radio shack they can get but may charge also
There is an authorized dealer that does it but charges like 70 bucks I paid 120 for the tl so if the eBay unlocked doesn't work I will try them next

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones