• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Home Brew

Granite1

Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey folks, I've started to get interested in brewing beer again. I used to brew in college with a few of my buddies, but I haven't brewed in over 10 years. My wife just got me a Mr. Beer kit for a great price, so I'm going to brew it out. We were beyond the kit brewing stage back then, but since it's been so long, I'm going to start back at square one. :)

Anyone else brewing their own beer?

If so, what kinds?

Do you secondary with priming sugar, or do you force carbonate?

Reactions: Rxpert83
I used to be really into homebrewing all kinds of beer. Unfortunately, the past couple years have I've just been too busy.
Since I never have had great temp control, I stuck with ales (attempted a couple lagers, but none of them came out that well.
I only recently bought a kegerator (well it's a dorm fridge I converted into one) so I try to keg whenever possible as bottling is such a pain. ;)
Here was the blog I used to use to more keep myself up to date but also for anyone else interested in what I was doing:
The City Brewer
FWIW, I'm also a certified homebrew judge by the BJCP. Have only judged a few competitions, and it's a ton of fun. The test is really demanding though and since I never took any study classes, I didn't do all that well. But, enough to pass. :)

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
The bottling was always the worst part of our brewing endeavors. Always ended up with a few dud bottles, blah blah. You know the drill. :p

We had access to 5 gal soda kegs from the local beer distributor, and after a few key tubing and connector purchases, we left bottling behind for good. ;)

We force carbinated in the soda kegs with 20 lb of co2 during the "secondary ferment" although we never added any priming sugar. We usually added our flavoring ingredients then and just locked it down.

I clearly remember the last 15 gal we brewed for graduation. We did an IPA, a stout and a pils. Our stout was really good, and it had 12% ACL!! :D

Once we graduated, the brew crew went our seperate ways, and I haven't brewed since. :(

I have zero equipment, but I'm starting to get the itch. Plus I found a few folks around Pittsburgh who brew and grow their own hops!!! Super stoked to get back into it, thats if the misses doesn't give me too much grief for the equipment bills. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Always something I thought would be cool to do, but haven't gotten around to it quite yet

Dood, with your chemistry background, you'd be a kick ass Brew Master!! :D

Seriously, give it a go. The most time consuming part is the prep for a brew, the actual brew is only an hour or two. :)

Unless you do a 90 minute IPA, then your brew time goes up drastically. I digress.

Give it a try, the worst that can happen is you get a batch of beer! :p

Upvote 0
For doing 5 gallon all-grain brews, it's not terribly time consuming for me. Mill grain and weigh out water the night before. Have all the equipment ready.
Fire up the kettle first thing. Measure out hops and sanitize everything. I've tried to go as fast as possible and can be done with plenty of time for grocery shopping and dinner prep. :)

Upvote 0
I made some from a kit when I was a kid (teenager). Not a huge success. Then my mother wanted her jars back so a mate and I tried to drink it all. While playing darts. Not a great combination. In the end, we were playing nearest the board wins.

At the other end of the scale, a friend of mine who was pretty seriously into home brewing set up his own micro brewery last year and is now selling his own brand as well as making own-label stuff for Selfridges.

Upvote 0
so what sets aside brewing beer at home to making whiskey at home? never quite figured it out. I have been curious in trying both but as far as I know, making whiskey your self is illegal haha

Yes, making any distilled whisky without a license is illegal. Brewing beer at home isn't until you brew above certain number of gallons per year. Also if you sell any, you'll need to pay taxes, and depending where you live, have the proper licenses. ;)

I'm not interested in all of that, I just want to start to brew good beer at the hacienda, and enjoy it with my close frieds and family. :)

I've located a nearby brewing store and I'm going to go buy all new yeast, I have no idea how old the stuff in the kit is. The malt and hops are still good, no doubt, but the yeast is something I don't want to take a chance on. :)

Reactions: Bob Maxey
Upvote 0
Granite, go with Saf dry yeast in the red packets. S56 I think? It's good stuff and can ferment at a wide range of temps. :)

Edit: Woops, it's US-05!
safale-us-05-11-5-grams.jpg

Also, while a lot of folks poo poo using online stores for home brew ingredients vs local stores, I highly recommend:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/
http://www.northernbrewer.com/

If you're ordering something of a ton of weight, it saves to buy bulk grain locally, but most other ingredients or equipment can be had far more cheaply. :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Granite, if you like hoppy beers, check out this one I made a few years ago:
The City Brewer: Imperial Munich IPA
You can sub the whole Munich grain for extract:
Briess Munich Unhopped Liquid Malt Extract : Midwest Supplies
Not exactly sure what the conversion is, but you can plug it into any recipe calculator. I've used ProMash, but it's quite complicated. One that's easy to deal with (and free) is TastyBrew:
TastyBrew.com | Homebrewing Calculators

I'm a big IPA fan. :D

DogfishHead 120 is a little much for me, but the 90 is just about right. ;)

I absolutely love Troegs double bock called the Troegenator, I try to buy at least a case as month. If I get more than that the misses gets a little cross with me. :p

I'm going to give that calculator a try really soon. Thanks brother. :)

Upvote 0
so what sets aside brewing beer at home to making whiskey at home? never quite figured it out. I have been curious in trying both but as far as I know, making whiskey your self is illegal haha

Are you planning to give it a go?

Most likely illegal because of the feds and laws specific to your state. But it has been years since I took a look at the law. We have a maker here in Utah, but he is a commercial concern.

What sets it apart is the process. Beer can be made with homemade tools and readily available and cheap materials. It is also legal in your state, most likely.

Whiskey takes lots of specialized equipment, time, patience, and the like.

Trust me on this, making it is really tough. The best stuff is aged, so it will be years, perhaps, before you reap the benefits and in many cases, what you wait two or more years to enjoy turns out to be vile.

Sometimes, it turns out lethal as well. There are dangers lurking in every batch of homemade whiskey; the same dangers do not exist when you make beer. Just the danger of bad beer which is likely a hanging offence.

You need the ingredients, a clean place to work, as well as various tubs, storage containers, wood barrels and a still. You also need knowledge and skills. Good whiskey is a joy and it is the product of lots of knowledge.

I suggest you surf the web and see what concoctions you can make at home. Whiskey is not the only potent potable you can experiment with.

If you have a still, you can create straight grain alcohol from almost anything. That said, mind the laws and forget the enterprise. Try getting your feet wet with beer, root beer, mead and the like.

Upvote 0
If you make wine woth enough sugar and a high-alcohol tolerance yeast, in can ferment up to around 20% alcohol by volume http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gervin-Yeas...1382283406&sr=8-3&keywords=high+alcohol+yeast

I normally use Youngs Super Wine Yeast Compund (it includes yeast nutrients) and ferments up to around 15% ABV. I've just bottles 6 bottles of Strawberry wine, and have 2 Gallons (12 bottles) of plum currently fermenting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones