• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Horrible dealing with Virgin returning two phones

sqwerl

Dec 28, 2010
I've been a Virgin Mobile customer for at least four years and never had major problems with customer service but I had never ordered phones directly from them either. I ordered two Samsung Galaxy S2 phones in February - one for my wife and one for me. Hers had a constant clicking noise and I decided I didn't want to keep mine. Even though one phone was defective, they wouldn't send me a prepaid label to send either phone back. I was fine with that but then they told me even though I got free shipping to me they were going to deduct shipping charges from my refund.

Around the first of March I called to get a return authorization number, enclosed it with the phones in the original box, and shipped the phones insured with delivery confirmation back to the Fairfield Indiana returns department received a few days later. I wasn't happy about them saying they were deducting shipping from my refund so I called Regions who I bank with. They told me I could file a dispute to have the full amount Virgin charged to my Visa Check Card credited back to my account and they would take it up with Virgin. Regions said it could take up to 10 days for them to start on the dispute.

Meanwhile, I called Virgin to check the status of my refund and they told me I would have my refund by five days max. I waited the five days and no refund. I called and got the runaround waiting 15 to 20 minutes each transfer to multiple reps to finally get to somebody in returns whom I thought could help. I was told they had received both phones but the rep processing the return had made an error on the form and so a new refund form would need to be started and the refund could now be up to 6 to 14 business days. I persisted and persisted that this wasn't my fault and I should get a refund and asked that she escalate the refund process which she said she would try. I told her I no longer wished to do business with them and to close my Virgin account out.

In two days, I got exactly half of the purchase price credited back to my bank account. I called to ask why only credit for one phone and got more runaround and no answers why. I communicated all this to Regions eight days after I submitted the dispute but they said as long as Virgin has agreed to refund my money, they could be allowed up to 30 days and there was still no guarantee I'd get the other half of my money back. I said I'm sorry but I thought the Visa Check Card guaranteed disputes like this were resolved and I would get my money back as long as I had the receipts and tracking that I returned the phones within 30 days. That was the way it worked with my old credit union before I switched to Regions. The suggested I contact the Better Business Bureau and speak with an attorney if I don't get my refund.

Yesterday, Virgin credited a little over the cost of both phones shipped to my Virgin account. The deposit made my plan auto restart and $45 was automatically taken out to cover the monthly cost. I spoke to my bank again because I was too frustrated at this point to speak to any of the incompetent employees at Virgin. The bank said what I had suspected that it looked like they were trying to get around refunding me the rest of my money. Either that or they were just too incompetent to do the refund correctly.

At this point I've contacted the BBB and state attorney general but this could take weeks to get a response and there's still no guarantee they can do anything. It's going on business day ten when my bank told me they would have a decision. This is unbelievably frustrating. I've always bought my phones locally or ordered through Amazon and have gotten credit back within a day or two if I returned anything.

Beware before you order from Virgin and I'd strongly suggest if you want to have a phone with them to buy from Amazon.

Has anyone had experience returning phones to them?

summary of the op story goes as im reading it.

He bought 2 phones, one doesn't work as expected, so instead of asking to replace one phone, [out of spite?] he wants a refund on both.

Virign out of spite is giving you the run around on purpose.
out of line to expect a refund on two phones, when nothing is wrong with the 2nd.

youll get the full refund in the end, but VM will make you work for it / AKA cost you more in time then you get. They can afford to screw with you like that. Every company has a screw you budget.

Upvote 0
summary of the op story goes as im reading it.

He bought 2 phones, one doesn't work as expected, so instead of asking to replace one phone, [out of spite?] he wants a refund on both.

Virign out of spite is giving you the run around on purpose.
out of line to expect a refund on two phones, when nothing is wrong with the 2nd.

youll get the full refund in the end, but VM will make you work for it / AKA cost you more in time then you get. They can afford to screw with you like that. Every company has a screw you budget.

You're statement in bold is incorrect and only a matter of opinion. Per Virgin Mobiles stated 30 day return policy.

Phones purchased directly from Virgin Mobile may be returned for a full refund within 30 days of purchase. You must have the original receipt, packaging materials and all components. Please contact Virgin Mobile Customer Care at 1-888-322-1122 for instructions.

It does not say only defective phones may be returned. Any phone may be returned for any reason. I have that right and I choose to do business with Boost since they have marginally better customer service.

Upvote 0
So besides two people that apparently haven't returned any phones to VM is there anyone that has any worthwhile info or a successful way to deal with them on a return?

It would help if I could find a corporate phone number here in the states that doesn't route me to some foreign call center but I doubt one even exists.

Upvote 0
This is supposed to be Tier 3 support and located in California...1.866.553.9805...I've used it numerous times and have never been put on hold for more than a few minutes and if needed, they have always returned my calls in a timely manner.....Don't know if you use Facebook, but right now, there are a lot of unhappy people over there.....https://www.facebook.com/VirginMobileUSA?ref=ts&fref=ts

Upvote 0
This is supposed to be Tier 3 support and located in California...1.866.553.9805...I've used it numerous times and have never been put on hold for more than a few minutes and if needed, they have always returned my calls in a timely manner.....Don't know if you use Facebook, but right now, there are a lot of unhappy people over there.....https://www.facebook.com/VirginMobileUSA?ref=ts&fref=ts

Thanks I'll try that number tomorrow and check out the Facebook page. Unhappy customers indeed.

Upvote 0
Well you were right, the first guy I spoke to seemed to be helpful, no communication barrier, etc. Then he said he had to transfer me to the returns department...:(
To what sounded like one of the same foreign call centers customer service is located. She was in technical support and said they were having "system issues" as they've been saying for weeks and couldn't access my account. I asked to be transferred directly to returns and waited for 10 min only for the call to end. I've called several times from a land line and have been told they were transferring me only to be disconnected.

Upvote 0
Sorry sqwerl, they definitely have their hands full it seems, but that's still not an excuse to hang up on anyone. It looks like they are doing that a lot, from what I see is going on over on Facebook...I just hope that when it's all said and done, all of this will have been worth the wait and pains....I'd keep calling that number and tell them what is going on...Good luck!

Upvote 0
They seem to be active on quelling the Facebook complaints or at least pretending like they're doing something. A lady had me email her at an @thevirginangels.com email address. Now some other guy seems to be blaming it on this.

Good Morning,

Was the tracking number your provided me with for both phones in one package? Most of the time you will have two tracking numbers for two phones.

Thanks,
Marcus L.
Social Media Team

Why in hell would I have two tracking numbers for two phones and why would I not send the two phones I received in one box back in the same box I got them in? :laugh: I told the agent I was sending TWO phones back in the original packaging and he said OK and gave me ONE return authorization number.

This is getting beyond ridiculous the ignorant responses and excuses I keep getting from them. I'm questioning their sanity at this point much less my own sanity for doing business with them after knowing how their customer service has been for years.

Upvote 0
I don't know if it was my complaint with the state Attorney General, the BBB or posting on VMs Facebook page but someone from Sprint finally contacted me on 3/26 and she was competent, professional, and polite. She apologized and said she already had the refund set to go back to my checking account, removed the credits from my VM account but left my service established for this month (even though I didn't wish to keep service and didn't pay for it) and left enough credits for another month of service after this month ends. After that it's bye bye VM :)

Been waiting 20 days for my money so I'm glad it finally got resolved.

Upvote 0
Radio shack gave me a hard time before several years ago about two boost phones I bought out of state and returned near home. Target and Walmart would be my next choices besides Amazon which is the way to go IMO. Free shipping, no sales tax, prepaid returns, and my money back in a few days. YMMV.

Upvote 0
Radio shack gave me a hard time before several years ago about two boost phones I bought out of state and returned near home. Target and Walmart would be my next choices besides Amazon which is the way to go IMO. Free shipping, no sales tax, prepaid returns, and my money back in a few days. YMMV.
What kind of hard time? As long as you had the packaging, receipt, and all accessories, it should have been no problem. Only thing non-refundable would be airtime. At least where I live, prepaid returns are handled in less than 5 minutes.

Upvote 0
What kind of hard time? As long as you had the packaging, receipt, and all accessories, it should have been no problem. Only thing non-refundable would be airtime. At least where I live, prepaid returns are handled in less than 5 minutes.

They said I'd have to pay a 10% restocking fee even though it doesn't say so on the receipt. It took several calls to the Florida store I bought the phones from and corporate to get it taken care of.

Upvote 0

Radio Shack seems to have policies they make up as they go along... The last time I was in my local store looking at phones, they told me they are required to open and activate all phones in store. I told them that meant I'd never buy another phone there, as I always do activation and setup on my own.

I second Target or Amazon. Price matching, good return policies, no tax at Amazon or the 5% Target card discount. After hearing about the problems returning phones directly to VM, I don't see myself buying any more phones through them. No reason to add the possibility of that frustration to my life!

Upvote 0
Radio Shack seems to have policies they make up as they go along... The last time I was in my local store looking at phones, they told me they are required to open and activate all phones in store. I told them that meant I'd never buy another phone there, as I always do activation and setup on my own.

I second Target or Amazon. Price matching, good return policies, no tax at Amazon or the 5% Target card discount. After hearing about the problems returning phones directly to VM, I don't see myself buying any more phones through them. No reason to add the possibility of that frustration to my life!

This^^

Radio Shack, in my experience, make shit up as they go like the BS 10% restocking fee. They had their panties in a wad because I bought the phones out of state and the money had to come out of their register. Corporate told them the restocking fee was not a policy of theirs and to give me my refund.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones