• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hotspot reliability: the cellphone versus the MiFi router

AZgl1500

Extreme Android User
Feb 3, 2011
Oklahoma grasslands
I have owned my MiFi "Jetpack" for about six years now, probably 7 or 8 actually.

I am wondering if the radio in it is sub-par and try to get Verizon to replace the thing???

Scenario: I have been living in hospitals since August 19th baby sitting my wife..... and she is still waiting for a doctor's release to go home.

So, to keep from being bored, I have been staying on the Internet.... using the facility WiFi systems when, AND IF, the blessed things will work.... between 2 AM and 5 AM, the speeds are almost acceptable.... after the workers show up, and visitors start coming in, and all of them hit Facebook, the WiFi bogs down pathetically.

So, I started using my MiFi Jetpack to supplement the lack of bandwidth.....
Didn't take me long to find that all things are not equal with the Jetpack and my Note 4's hotspot speed capability.

The Note 4 nearly always will work, unless I am in a total dead zone.....

The MiFi Jetpack, not so much.... I have found hospital rooms where it just simply will not work at all. It logs in, gives me a signal for a while, and then it starts dropping out.... damn frustrating to be making a post and hit SUBMIT and nothing..... just the circle "waiting for server"....

So, I turn off the Jetpack, and turn on the Note 4's Hotspot, and all is well and good....

Anyone else observe a similar situation with the Jetpack ??

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones