• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I install Adblock plus for android

Grrrrrrrrr

Feb 3, 2016
Device: Shield Tablet K1
Android Ver: 6.0.1

I downloaded "adblockplusandroid-1.3.apk"

I enabled "unknown sources" in security

I opened ES File Explorer (Version 1.6.2.5 (Market)) and browsed to "downloads"

I tap on the file and nothing happens

I hold on the file until the options window comes up and tap install, nothing happens.

My (it's actually my adult daughters) device is not rooted because its still under warranty so, I (she) don't actually own it or the rights to do WTF I want on it :(

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-26_15-16-38.png
    upload_2016-6-26_15-16-38.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've now realized I am unable to manually open any .apk files, even ones I have already installed. Something in the last droid update has made it impossible for me to install from anywhere but the store :(

Ijust haven't seen the need for it, as I use Ghostery now.

Millions of people use the tool Ghostery to block online tracking technology—some may not realize that it feeds data to the ad industry.

That addon tracks your browsing and sells that info to the ad industry for profit. Why do you think it is still in the play store while adblock is not?

You could try a different file manager to install like Astro or Xplore, but I agree with @Dannydet , this won't block ads in games, only ads in your browsers.

It will block all traffic from every ip on the list. It works the some as a hosts file does on windows.

Try installing from your phone browser. I use chrome but it should work from any. Type in file:///sdcard and then navigate to where you downloaded the apk.

I get "Unable to download file" and a .apk.part file created in download.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Millions of people use the tool Ghostery to block online tracking technology—some may not realize that it feeds data to the ad industry.

That addon tracks your browsing and sells that info to the ad industry for profit. Why do you think it is still in the apple store while adblock is not?

How do you think Google makes their $$$$, for providing you with this nice Android operating system and all their useful services? With DoubleClick, AdSense and AdMob. :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones