• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How I Rooted my Ellipsis 7

DeathMinister

Lurker
Jun 21, 2014
It's pretty hard to find helpful info on rooting this tablet, so since this was one of the first boards I was sent to via DuckDuckGo, I figured I'd contribute my success story so it might be easier for other nubs to root.

I used Framaroot version 1.9.3 (which can be found at the bottom of the first post on this page: [ROOT] Framaroot, a one-click apk to root some devices - xda-developers). Once installed I used the bottom option, "Barahmir" I think it's called, and then downloaded "Root Checker" from the Play Store to ensure it was rooted as this was my first time ever rooting. Sure enough, it was rooted, and I started by backing up everything in the /system/app folder, followed by deleting all the unwanted apps in that folder via the ADB (Android Debugging Bridge).

I should state that I work with Linux systems a lot, so ADB's command line interface was very natural to me, but I'd expect people not used to Linux or Unix command line systems to have a lot of trouble with it. As such I can't recommend any apps that make it easier as I couldn't find any that could delete files in that directory, even with super user privileges, as it's set as a read only directory. I can however give you a list of commands that I used the most.

Here's a tutorial on how to install ADB on Windows and the basic commands: [TUTORIAL] Everything about ADB - A reference for everyone - xda-developers

Arrow brackets in the commands below should be replaced with the absolute path to the file or directory described. Ex: "<backup location>" might be replaced with "C:\Users\UserName\Backups\Tablet"

You also need to enable USB debugging, from the developer options in your tablet's settings. It's hidden by default, but is revealed when you tap the model number in the "About this device" section seven times.

To copy files from the tablet to your computer (useful for making your backup)
Code:
adb pull <File/Directory being copied> <Directory being copied to>

To copy files to the tablet from your computer (useful for restoring from your backup)
Code:
adb push <File/Directory being copied> <Directory being copied to>

To enter into the tablet's command line system, A.K.A. its shell (Note: this command must be run before any of the following commands I list here as they won't work unless you're inside the tablet)
Code:
adb shell
(Note: Capitalization matters past this point)

To gain super user privilages (tablet must be rooted before you can perform this)
Code:
su

To change directories
Code:
cd <Absolute or relative path to the directory you wish to go to>
Example:
Code:
cd /system/app
or
Code:
cd system
then
Code:
cd app

Making a directory that's read-only able to be written to (you have to do this to remove files from /system/app, and you need to be inside that directory for this command to work)
Code:
mount -o rw,remount /system

To list the contents of the directory you're in
Code:
ls

...and the one you've all been waiting for...
To remove a file
Code:
rm <filename>
Example: Once you've used the "cd" command to move to /system/app, type...
Code:
rm Chrome.apk
(Reminder: Capitalization is important for these commands)

If there's a ton of files in the directory, as is the case with /system/app, the "ls" command will probably fill up the screen and some command lines don't allow scrolling to see what you've missed. While there are ways around this, I recommend just installing "Root Browser" from the apps store and typing the file names you want to remove as you see them there on the tablet. Use caution when removing .apk files as some of them will reduce the functionality of the tablet, and may possibly render it unusable. This is why it's important to backup the /system/app directory before removing anything.

I saved my backup of the /system/app directory, and would be willing to share it, but I wanted to check to make sure there were no legal problems with doing so before posting a link my archive. I'd appreciate it if someone could inform me as to whether this action would be permissible.

I wrote this all from memory as I had to send the tablet back due to a family-plan feud. If I messed something up please tell me and I'll try to correct it. I should also mention I was able to use Framaroot to unroot the device successfully after restoring my backup. If you don't restore the system files before doing a factory reset they will still be gone after the reset, and Verizon will probably get suspicious.

Hope this helps someone! I will try to answer any questions as well.

I myself am going to back to school for computers, and have rooted a few devices(trial&error) but readign your post was very helpful for when i goto root my GF ellispe. i think it's a POS since verizon gave her wrong software version when it got sent to fix the first time. it limited her tablet to only 4 gb and no ext sd usage.

Upvote 0
So I go to download framaroot, and it says I need to change my settings for unknown sources. A little concerned by that point but I do as it says and change the settings to download from unknown sources. When it downloads, the notification pops up saying download complete. I click on it and I little framaroot window pops up saying cancel or install. When I click install Google warns me it contains a code that will attempt to bypass android security. So know I'm thinking its a scam and a virus to steal my info. Anyone want to tell me whats up and if its legitimate or not? Thanks.

Upvote 0
So I go to download framaroot, and it says I need to change my settings for unknown sources. A little concerned by that point but I do as it says and change the settings to download from unknown sources. When it downloads, the notification pops up saying download complete. I click on it and I little framaroot window pops up saying cancel or install. When I click install Google warns me it contains a code that will attempt to bypass android security. So know I'm thinking its a scam and a virus to steal my info. Anyone want to tell me whats up and if its legitimate or not? Thanks.

That is all completely normal when rooting your device. It is basically just letting you know that you need to make sure you know what you are doing. The best advice when installing from "unknown sources" is make sure you trust the source you downloaded the apk from. It's not necessarily a scam. Just be aware that this will give you the ability to delete files that may be required for your tablet to function properly. Do some more research and find a few more trustworthy sources of individuals that have done this successfully. Also, make sure you follow the instructions and don't deviate. The other problem with messing with the Ellipsis 7 is that there isn't much of a community around it. If you break it you may not find a way to fix it.

Upvote 0
I root my device (ellipsis 7) and it says it worked, but when i go into root checker it says that i didnt work or that i dont have a full root! ive tried multiple times and nothing works! please help.

Try rebooting right after you get the message that it was successful. If Root Checker still says you aren't rooted the try one of the other methods. Make sure to reboot right after you it says it was successful.

Upvote 0
... followed by deleting all the unwanted apps in that folder via the ADB (Android Debugging Bridge).

I saved my backup of the /system/app directory, and would be willing to share it, but I wanted to check to make sure there were no legal problems with doing so before posting a link my archive. I'd appreciate it if someone could inform me as to whether this action would be permissible.

First of all, thank you very much for this guide! I am also a linux user and even though I am apt in command line, it is helpful to see the method used to accomplish the goal.

Do you have a list of apps that you were safely able to remove (no adverse effects)? I have been unable to locate a bloatware list for this device/model and would appreciate a list of apk names that you were successful with removing.

Also, I use the following command to perform a backup of all the apk files: (taken from these instructions)
Code:
adb backup -apk -all -f backup.ab

Btw, here is comprehensive guide on XDADevelopers about the various switches.

Upvote 0
Screenshot_2015-05-24-18-51-51.png
Just tried using framaroot 1.9.3 and all three exploits failed. Looks like Verizon's latest update screwed us again.

Same results for me! I think you're right! Any news of rooting with latest Verizon update?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones