• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to block out other carriers/roaming towers?

freakshow85

Android Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2013
I got a Galaxy S3 through Straight Talk. I assumed it would be Verizon or AT&T but instead it ended up being Sprint.. and at my house I am on unusable Verizon becaise they have strong signal around here.. and I guess both being cdma is why I pick up on it.. but I can't use it for anything.
Is there anyway to make my phone only pick up on Sprint towers and nothing else?

I can't make sense of your second post and don't know what you mean by your first. I am not rooted. I run Sprint.with low sig at my house. I am picking up on Verizon towers, I assume, because if I make a call it voes to verion saying I can pay to make a call.. and they are cdma like sprint if I am not mistaken. Does anyone understand what I am saying? It's like it's making me roam.. I can't text or call unless I get on the sprint tower by standing on one leg and holding my finger to my nose ..

Upvote 0
Who is your carrier and did you select the correct APN . and to answer your question it's no way to block out the device is like a scanner it searches for the best signal for the user to make calls or use data for the web browser . to alter the Build.prop if you was rooted would allow you to do a few things . so do that answer your question

Upvote 0
Do you see something similar to this for APN

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1391386138950.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1391386138950.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 122
Upvote 0
@freakshow...I wish I knew more to comment about what towers ST uses, but I briefly searched for your device...:
Samsung Galaxy S III SCH-S960L LTE (Net 10 and Straight Talk) Specifications | Smartphone Zero
General & Network
2G: CDMA
3G: EVDO Rev. A/PCS 1900 MHz
4G: LTE B25

Also, from what I've found, Verizon and ST parted ways, which would appear to me, like you have stated, your phone runs on Sprint towers.
Now, I would assume your Sprint signal is poor and connects to Verizon's towers...or attempts to.

I don't know how you can force your device to run on Sprint only short of what funky said and turn off roaming?

Some findings of mine....the box that the device came in..on the front/lower corner...does it say CDMA-V, or CDMA-S. (V=Verizon, S=Sprint)? I'm curious.

Like I said, I wish I knew more about your issue to help. :(

How long ago did you get this device?
Perhaps instead of messing with the APN settings etc, it may be easier to just call your carrier like you said you may do, and see what they can offer?

Upvote 0
Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I am not being smartazz but I can say I was just in your situation not to long ago I went to st aka straight talk and didn't like . so I am here to help but your problem Show that u need to get with your carrier and do a manual programming but I Dont need to be a smartazz your problems that you have either teach me or I help you we all been in that very same situation and had to learn to make me as what I am today . we all here to help

Upvote 0
I am not being smartazz but I can say I was just in your situation not to long ago I went to st aka straight talk and didn't like . so I am here to help but your problem Show that u need to get with your carrier and do a manual programming but I Dont need to be a smartazz your problems that you have either teach me or I help you we all been in that very same situation and had to learn to make me as what I am today . we all here to help
You're fine Brainz...all is cool ;) Thanks for your help :)

Upvote 0

Like I already said, I took your post the wrong way. My bad. Language barriers cause misunderstandings.. that is I assume English isn't your native language. I just wanted to see if anyone knew a fix before I had to call the terrible help desk of Straight Talk. Ill let everyone know the real deal when I call tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Wow I dread calling them so bad... always takes so long. I emailed them and they gave me instructions to update my profile and PRL. Well they must not study their own phones because they gave me the wrong instructions. But I found it anyways and it didn't help. They gave me a PIN and phone number to call if it didn't work... still trying to build my calmness up before I call them.

One thing I worry about is... see I still get 3G and 4G that works whether I can text/call or not from roaming. I wonder if it is actually Sprint's data or if it is messed up and letting me roam and use Verizon's data. I don't know how I can be using data that works fine but be roaming on Verizon at the same time unable to text or call. Maybe it is just how the phone is set up and I am using Sprint for data.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones