• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to Check for Firmware Updates or Update your LG SmartPhone [PC ONLY]

It always says that.

Try getting into download mode and see if it detects it.
Phone must be of and unplugged, then hold volume down+ volume up+ power key and you will see a screen that says download mode. Now connect the USB cable and see if the program detects the phone.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your response. In download mode it finally recognized the phone as being plugged in. It immediately informed me i had to unplug it to install the usb drivers which I did. I had installed them before but it got to one of the drivers and said it was older than the one I had installed and I would have to uninstall it. I did not as I thought newer is better. I plugged it in again and it said there is no software available for this model? Does that mean it is up to date? Are the updates I installed from the website interfering. My 4g is defiantly not near as fast as I see on YouTube videos or my friends phone, that is one of the reasons I am trying to do this. thx again for any help.

Upvote 0
Ok, I know it's the holidays so not alot of peeps keeping up with the forums and maybe most have done this stuff before, so i kept messing with it till I got it to work. First as I should have done in the first place, I uninstalled everything LG, I had 3 drivers and update tool. I restarted and got the tool again. I got 2 drivers and installed. I plugged in the phone, it still didn't see it but I noticed I had it on MTP, instead of LG software. Once I checked that, it went thru the whole process and ended up it says I have the latest software after all lol. A few little mis-steps corrected and it worked after all so anyhow, thx all. Happy Holidays!

PS. It would seem I don not get anywhere near 4G at my home, speed tests are terrible even with 2 bars.. In town7 miles away I do so that sux :(

Upvote 0
Ok so people may not know this at all, some people don't even know where to find drivers for their phone. LG made an easy tool to get drivers and check for firmware updates for any LG Smart Phone with a tool called "LG Mobile Support Tool". It can be used to update the phone to the newest firmware that LG has for the phone. This may not work for discontinued phones such as the LG Optimus V and S because those phones have been discontinued by LG, and I have checked their servers, it is not there.

One important thing before you use this tool, if you have changed the MEID/ESN/IMEI on the phone to another phone that is not the same model number as yours, it will:
1) Say there are no updates even when there is one.
2) Download the wrong firmware and possibly give you a soft brick.

Download the tool here:
Download LGMobile Support Tool 1.5.8.1 Free - Update the drivers on your LG phone - Softpedia

Here's how to get drivers:

Step 1: Open the program

1.png

Step 2: Click there

2.png

Step 3: Choose carrier of phone (carrier the phone was made for).

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/25872972/LG Update/3.png

Step 4: Double click Model Number

4.png

Step 5: Drivers will download and you will need to follow directions from the program.

How to check to see if phone is up to date:

Step 1: Open the program

1.png

It will either say

This (No updates):

5.png

Or This (Yeah updates!! :D):

6.png

If you chose to update it will back-up phone info and apps (only if you are running a stock/stockish-like ROM)

7.png

Then it will download the firmware update:

8.png

Then your phone will go on a screen similar to this:

IMG_20120924_221534.jpg

While your computer does this:

9.png

Once that is done, phone will reboot normally. And the program will tell you you are up to date:

10.png

Enjoy!

WARNING: NEVER UNPLUG PHONE WHILE IT IS IN DOWNLOAD MODE!! NEVER UPDATE PHONE WITH AN UNTRUSTWORTHY USB CABLE! NEVER USE A USB HUB/SPLITTER!

If your phone starts bootlooping because you were on an operating system different than what you're phone is supposed to run (i.e. stock is froyo, custom ROM is gingerbread), you will have to perform a factory reset using the hardkey combo. Refer to your User Manual which can be downloaded with the LG Mobile Support Tool. You will lose all info if you have to do this, but it only applies to phones that have a custom ROM.
This post is broken for me and so is the LGMobile Support Tool!

Upvote 0
Don't know. It can't hurt the phone,that's for sure.

But it could make it temporarily unusable. When I first got my optimus black I used FOTA to update and after that it no longer recognised any sim. I took it back to the shop and they gave me another phone. It is out of warranty now though and when the update i tried recently failed part way through I feared I had bricked the phone.

Reactions: sammyz
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones