• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to remove all the junk that boots when I start my phone

chrisssj2

May 7, 2013
I downloaded this app advanced task manager and when I boot my phone it always start a load of apps. This is my list:

Messaging: 26.6 mb
Clock 20.5 Mb
Internet 20.4 mb
maps 22,4 mb
Help
Dropbox: 21,2 mb
Hot sexy girls 22,8mb
voice command 21.9 mb
Contacts 21.9 mb
game hub 22.2 mb
youtube 22,4 mb
gallery 21.1 mb
chrome 20,4mb
4shared pro 20,7 mb
google play services 21.5 mb
google + 24.7 mb
email 21.9 mb
music player 20,4 mb
Chaton, 22,1 mb
google search 21,6 mb
whatsapp 22,7 mb
settings 20.6 mb
google play store 25,5 mb
google play music 21,3 mb

573-782 MB so only like 209 mb ram free.

Is there some way to shut off all the crap when it boots?

I never ask for all this to be started when I turn on my phone.

All i want is like whatsapp or facebook to be autostarted.

Also when I can't uninstall chaton? the chatbutton is greyed out? Sigh..

pleaseeee assist

A lot of these are system processes required for normal day-today running rather than the actual apps themselves e.g. Messaging (to receive/send SMS), Clock (for timer/alarm functions), Maps (to support location services), Contacts (as it's a provider service for many others), Gallery, Email etc.

Others can be prevented from starting up by simply not logging-in, or configuring them for manual rather than automatic update.

573-782 MB so only like 209 mb ram free.

That's perfectly normal for Android, where free RAM is wasted RAM. It loads everything it needs to at startup, according to the user's configuration, to minimise delays in actual use later. If a process or app remains 'idle' beyond a certain period of time the OS will close it, reclaim the memory and reassign it to something else. It's kind of opposite to how Windows works, because they're designed for completely different purposes.

Is there some way to shut off all the crap when it boots?
Careful configuration can minimise unwanted process/app loading, but much of what you call "crap" is actually essential to the device doing its job. If you look at the Running tab in Application Management and tap on (for example) Maps, it will show the dependent process(es).

Also when I can't uninstall chaton? the chatbutton is greyed out?
ChatON, like most preinstalled apps, resides in the /system partition and can't be uninstalled in normal "user mode". That's one of the primary reasons to root a device.

Upvote 0
I tried Root Toolbox and it doesnt have any option to see which apps run on boot!!!

And I have rooted my device.. but still cant delete chaton..

The freezing thing.. can work but I think it's rather unnatural.. isn't there something like ccleaner on pc with the boot programs but then for a phone xD.

Also any of these supposed apps that are running in the background I don't see them active? for example I see whatsapp process and facebook but I can't "tab" to them, fresh boot talking. Then why are they even there. for performance? Am I actually online?

Upvote 0
chrisssj said:
I have rooted my device.. but still cant delete chaton..

/system/app/ChatON.apk (or whatever it's called).... delete with a file manager.

The freezing thing.. can work but I think it's rather unnatural.. isn't there something like ccleaner on pc with the boot programs but then for a phone xD.
This isn't a PC OS so things work differently. The point in 'freezing' is that it's recoverable should you 'freeze' the wrong thing i.e. something that another process depends on. Deletion is a one-way street.

I see whatsapp process and facebook but I can't "tab" to them, fresh boot talking.

That's what I meant by

A lot of these are system processes required for normal day-today running rather than the actual apps
Whatsapp has to run a process to monitor for incoming messages. The actual app doesn't run unless you use it.

Upvote 0
/system/app/ChatON.apk (or whatever it's called).... delete with a file manager.

This isn't a PC OS so things work differently. The point in 'freezing' is that it's recoverable should you 'freeze' the wrong thing i.e. something that another process depends on. Deletion is a one-way street.

That's what I meant by

Whatsapp has to run a process to monitor for incoming messages. The actual app doesn't run unless you use it.

Ok so but am I actually online to other persons if whatsapp or facebook autostarts? or how I make sure that I am online or I am not.

Upvote 0

That's what I meant by

I tried with es3 file explorer it says cannot be deleted -.-

Upvote 0
am I actually online to other persons if whatsapp or facebook autostarts?

The handset is 'online' permanently provided there's a suitable connection, either wifi or 3G. If you've set up a Whatsapp account on it then any messages sent to you will be received by its 'handler' service, and a notification displayed on screen which, if selected, will open the main app and display the messages.

Upvote 0
u need root(which I'm guessing u have) download emulator terminal and do this step by step
Code:
 1) punch in "su"(no quotes) and press enter and grant it superuser permission select always. 
2)type this no quotes "mount -o rw,remount -t auto /system"
3) system should be rw. 
FYI this only makes the system partition read write, becareful with u mod in there! i suggest using titanium backup to freeze then so a factory reset will make things work again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones