• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to safely remove note 8 without warning?

spman

Android Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2013
Samsung Note 8 does not appear in safely remove hardware of my windows 10 so this message will appear whenever I unplug my Note 8 cable from the USB port. How to prevent this message from appearing? Does it mean I am unplugging in a unsafe way that could damage my phone? Thanks

IE1tahW.png

-----
Note: This is the safely remove hardware I am taking about https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-1ee6677d-4e6c-4359-efca-fd44b9cec369

Yeah, I agree. You should get in the habit of intentionally dismounting first (that notifies the operating systems on both your Note 8 and your WinPC that you're going to disconnect the two), then actually physically remove the USB cable from the port it's plugged into.

Whenever you just yank the USB cable out, if there is any kind process still running in the background (i.e. some files you previously were transferring from one to the other), that could then corrupt the file system on the receiving end -- not as likely as ext4 (your Note's default file system) and NTFS (your PC's default file system) have more extensive, automatic, and inherent repair functionality but more likely if there's a microSD card is involved (its default file system is going to be either FAT32 or exFAT, neither of which are very robust and both easily corruptible).
So yes it is a pain to add those extra steps to always dismount first, then physically remove but given how often people bi**h and moan about microSD cards, they need to focus on the actual source of the problem. (SD card storage media chips are quite good now with good longevity and stability, it's the FAT-based file systems that are the massive weak point.) Essentially, you're not actually going to 'damage' your Note or your PC by not dismounting first, but it is just taking a shortcut that seems practical to you but not to the OS's running on your devices.

Upvote 0
there should be an "^" at the bottom of your screen next or near the time clock on your desktop. if you click that radio button you should see a function to "safely remove hardware and eject media". i use this mostly with usb drives, but it should work the same as the phone.

Safely remove hardware icon do not show Note 8, only show USB drive, screenshot https://i.imgur.com/0RAkVFQ.png

Right click on Note 8 no eject button, right click on USB drive has eject button, screenshot https://i.imgur.com/8REPfBH.png

Upvote 0
USB drive E is a flash drive (thumb drive), not phone. I inserted USB flash drive is to do the screenshots to show the differences.

Windows 10 PC one USB port cable is connected to Note 8, and another USB port is connected to Sandisk cruzer micro flash drive (thumb drive) (drive E) plugged into the USB port of the PC.

Drive E is nothing related to phone, not phone, not note 8. Just a flash drive plugged into PC for the purpose of doing screenshots as a comparison.

These are the screenshots

Safely remove hardware icon do not show Note 8, only show USB drive, screenshot https://i.imgur.com/0RAkVFQ.png

Right click on Note 8 no eject button, right click on flash disk (thumb drive) USB drive E has eject button, screenshot https://i.imgur.com/8REPfBH.png

Last edited:
Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
Honestly I wouldn't worry about that warning UNLESS it's in the process of copying or transferring anything. I've been using computers for 40 years and that's just a generic pop up.
It's safe to unplug your devices....

That's what I always do with the school computers, just pull the USB thumb-drive out when I've finished. However I always have my USB drives write protected(READ ONLY when using Windows because of viruses, and so removing without ejecting won't do any harm AFAICT.

Upvote 0
How do you setup?
Does the photos also instantly appear in google photos as a backup?
no need to setup as long as you are signed in with your google account than all is good. just check to see if your account is synced.

you can go to google photos in your browser and be able to look at your photos from there. now they are not physically on your pc. but you can view them as long as your computer is on wifi. you can even download them physically to any device as well. it makes buying a new phone so easy and you never have to worry about losing your photos. now they just recently started to put a limit as to how many photos you can store for free so keep that in mind.

https://www.google.com/photos/about/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's what I always do with the school computers, just pull the USB thumb-drive out when I've finished. However I always have my USB drives write protected(READ ONLY when using Windows because of viruses, and so removing without ejecting won't do any harm AFAICT.
How do you set write protected?
Everytime you use your personal computer you would undo the write protect, when you use public computer you would set write protect on your USB thumb drive?

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
How do you set write protected?

The ones I use have a switch on them, marked LOCK and UNLOCK. Made by Aigo or Kdata, I bought from TaoBao. You might be able to buy them from Amazon? It's probably similar to the write protect notches, the used to be on floppy disks.

Everytime you use your personal computer you would undo the write protect, when you use public computer you would set write protect on your USB thumb drive?

Yeh, sort of like that. My own computer is a MacBook, I use to prepare my lesson materials on. where the USB drive is write enabled. And when I go into the classrooms to give my lessons, I always write protect. As there's absolutely no need for the school Windows 7 PCs to be writing to my USB drives, dumping their viruses on them, and corrupting my data. I'm in China, and using Windows here is just asking for trouble.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Reactions: ocnbrze and spman
Upvote 0
Here's the link to Google photos....
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.photos
Install it on your device, if it is not already...
Open it, set it up.
Now it will automatically save whatever photos you have on your device to the cloud.
Now on any other device, using your browser, you just go here: photos.google.com
Done....

no need to setup as long as you are signed in with your google account than all is good. just check to see if your account is synced.

you can go to google photos in your browser and be able to look at your photos from there. now they are not physically on your pc. but you can view them as long as your computer is on wifi. you can even download them physically to any device as well. it makes buying a new phone so easy and you never have to worry about losing your photos. now they just recently started to put a limit as to how many photos you can store for free so keep that in mind.

https://www.google.com/photos/about/

Is there a faster way to download photos from photos.google.com (e.g. drag and drop, copy and paste...) to PC instead of downloading as a zip file and then unzip?

This is what I do:
  1. Go to photos.google.com in your browser.
  2. Click the checkmark in the top left to select your pics.
  3. In the top right, click the three dots and hit Download.
source https://backlightblog.com/download-photos-from-google-photos
-----

One more question: is photos and videos stored in micro sd card of the phone automatically backup to google photos?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
By default, no, you have to go into Google photos settings and specify which folders you want backed up.

I go into Google photos settings (clicked top right setting icon and reached this url https://photos.google.com/u/0/settings )

What is the exact step/item to click to specify which folders you want backed up? I do not see any way to specify which folders.

Upvote 0
That link is for your online Google Photos account, so it affects your photo library that's stored in the cloud (within your Google account in some Google server).
To manage settings in your phone, specifically the Google Photo app that's on your phone, you need to go into the app's Settings menu. To select specific folders, look in the Google Photos app 'Photo settings' menu -- Settings >> Backup & sync >> Backup device folders

Reactions: spman and Dannydet
Upvote 0
By default, no, you have to go into Google photos settings and specify which folders you want backed up.

That link is for your online Google Photos account, so it affects your photo library that's stored in the cloud (within your Google account in some Google server).
To manage settings in your phone, specifically the Google Photo app that's on your phone, you need to go into the app's Settings menu. To select specific folders, look in the Google Photos app 'Photo settings' menu -- Settings >> Backup & sync >> Backup device folders

I have setup google photos.

If I take a new photo in Samsung Galaxy Note 8 it automatically appears in Gallery app and Google photos app.

If I delete a photo in Gallery app, the photo will not be automatically be deleted from Google photos app. Is the the correct default behaviour?

If I delete a photo in Google photos app the photo will be automatically be deleted from Gallery app. Is the the correct default behaviour?

How to setup if I delete the photo from Gallery app the photo will be automatically be deleted from Google photos app?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
This is how it works :
Google photos are your photos already uploaded to the cloud, not on your device.
The gallery app is just a photo viewer, nothing more.
It will only show you the photos that are on your device.
If you delete a photo on your device using the gallery app, it is gone forever.
Unless the photo has already been uploaded to the cloud, which is Google photos....
So to summarize, if you see the photos in the photos app, it is now safe to delete them from your device using the gallery app.

Reactions: spman
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones