• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HP Slate 21

acn1

Lurker
Oct 22, 2013
Does anybody else have a Slate 21? The screen is a delight and using it as a vnc front to remote systems works well as well as email and web browsing on the device itself displaying large enough to be readable. Also youtube is so much nicer on a 21" screen than on tiny ones. I can run mine off a medium sized lead-acid mattery so I can even take it away from mains power.

However HP have not (yet?) released recovery rom images and the device and iit does not have a micro-USB receptacle to allow it to be connected to a PC for use with ADB etc. HP are a bit silent on ADB-over-wifi or wired ethernet.

So does anybody have experience of software development for this so I can stand on their shoulders rather than find it all out for myself? Or of using fastboot, rooting etc. I would rather like to be able to use this kit as a stand-alone development workstation, and use of a Raspberry Pi and a Beaglebone Black prove to me that with a reasonable sized SD card installed it would be pretty capable.

All the people I have shown it to are amazed by the price as in "gosh the standard sized iPad costs more than that" and an artist friend is hugely enthusiastic about the prospects for both viewing and creating artwork on a canvas that size. For his sake the additional question arises as to what Android paint/draw package works best on an oversized screen for use by somebody who had been heat of art at their school for many years?

Arthur

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones