• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC One M8 CONSTANT Crashing!

glezga

Mar 20, 2012
hi all. ive has this phone for about 4 months. it started crashing randomly about a month ago and is getting worse.

• randomly powers down
  • randomly restarts
  • restarts but stays on white HTC screen
  • restarts to lock screen and freezes
  • powers down and wont restart - holding power button/ volume etc, rebooting etc goes into same cycle or restarting.
  • randomly comes alive again and works fine for a few days.

the only app ive noticed it crash on, is the camera!

the rest is completely random, like i take it our of my pocket to use, hit the power button to unlock and it crashes. its even done the tmoblie logo and sound then the sound continues on a crashed note!

its a t moble unlocked and i use it on network 3

ive factory reset and backed up etc a few times, just keeps happening!

• android version 5.0.1
  • htc sence version 6.0
  • software number 4.20.531.4
  • hardware version 0005
anything i can do, im out of warranty etc, will the phone perform better if rooted?

cheers

Glezga

crash report in pdf file attached

Attachments

• Document1.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Before considering rooting let's see if we can locate the problem.

Please long press power for menu while running normally, long press the power off option until the safe mode choice appears - reboot to safe mode.

During safe mode you won't have access to apps you added or updated but you won't be losing any data or changing your phone either - it's just a temporary run of only the basic system.

Try various things while in safe mode, and as you mentioned the camera, try going in and out of it several times for example.

Report back what happens and we'll go from there. :)

Upvote 0
no, i seen another post here and im aware it has issues, i just use the built in one. would fresh factory install and not backup help you think. id need to enter my contacts normally.

i do use simpler as opposed to the built in phone contacts app and clean master is always busy?
Whoa whoa whoa - uninstall Clean Master as of yesterday - it's seriously just garbage - and could be the cause of the trouble.

http://androidforums.com/threads/pu...k-killers-ram-optimizers-and-the-like.896663/

And don't replace it, and uninstall anything similar ok.

Doing the safe mode thing will tell us if the basic OS is corrupted and needs reinstalling - but until you lose Clean Master (and anything else from Cheetah Mobile) there's no point in looking elsewhere just yet.

Upvote 0
Does your comment about "Anything ... from Cheetah Mobile" also include their 'CM Security Antivirus AppLock'? I uninstalled Clean Master, should I also uninstall the CM Antivirus app?
I believe that @codesplice or @Crashdamage can provide the proper independent reference, but CM Security scores very low on a standard personal information security rating.

Given that a part of Clean Master's growth was due to malware prompting its installations (documented in the myth thread) I wouldn't trust them for an Anti-Malware app under any circumstances, but that's just my way of thinking.

Upvote 0
I believe that @codesplice or @Crashdamage can provide the proper independent reference, but CM Security scores very low on a standard personal information security rating.

Given that a part of Clean Master's growth was due to malware prompting its installations (documented in the myth thread) I wouldn't trust them for an Anti-Malware app under any circumstances, but that's just my way of thinking.
There's quite a discussion about Clean Master / CM Security / Cheetah Mobile in general over here: http://androidforums.com/threads/be...ters-data-collection-and-your-privacy.919363/ :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0
Wanted to go back to a comment that @EarlyMon made. I'm using SwiftKey as my work cell keyboard, a GN2. Can you tell me what some of the issues with SwiftKey are? Is it specific to loading it onto an M8, or overall? Thx.
There was a problem with one of the recent updates that resulted in reports of some M8s not being usable because of an endless loop of UI crashing or keyboard crashing.

Booting into safe mode and removing it solved the problem for those afflicted.

I'm fairly sure that they've updated since and the problem is likely gone - but for the next little while, I'll personally be suggesting a check on that for those with the same symptoms until everyone is sure that they're out of the woods on that one.

Fwiw, I'm using SwiftKey on my M8 to reply to this.

Reactions: ella69
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones