• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

i bought an elliptical

You might want to Google "Problem Peleton" to see if the company is stable, not being sued...etc...
yeah they had some supply chain issues due to the pandemic and when things started to open upon sales decreased as people headed back out to gyms. it will always be an ebb in flow with these kind of things. seems like shares jumped up when they partnered up with amazon to sell their products.

i keep seeing peleton delivery trucks all around L.A......so they are doing well here that is for sure.

Upvote 0
It's not a Ronco, K-Tel, "AS SEEN ON TV", "NOT AVAILABLE IN STORES" type thing is it? Where the ads make out the product to be much better than it actually is. As I've seen many online ads for them, especially on YouTube.

Also doesn't it depend on an app and been connected to the interwebs to work, IoT? Which means if(when) the company, app, and servers go away, the thing becomes useless?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If I lived in your area with it's climate and bike paths, I'd be looking for an E-bike. Not only get the exercise but enjoy the outdoors. But hey, that's me. A Peloton has to be a good exercise bike and program or they wouldn't be popular. Checking google... it's not a cheap investment and that monthly subscription is steep. If it helps to motivate and keeps a person challenged perhaps it is worthy of the price. I know of nobody that owns one to pass along an opinion.

Upvote 0
the only time i have for roaming outdoors are the weekends. i come home to late for doing any outdoor activity. trying to exercise only on saturdays and sundays will not make it for getting in shape. i plan to put the bike on my porch that has a nice roof and is pretty much protected from the elements. i live on a hill so the view from it would be great for the bike.

and i think the membership is $44 a month so for me it is something i can afford.

right now it is just a thought......still exploring options. i am also looking into norditrac as well.

Upvote 0
As long as you are just doing some R&D, I might suggest looking into what benefits rowers offer. If I was interested in an fixed position workout machine, I would be seriously looking in that direction.

I grabbed this from the net: It's because of that effectiveness that rowers are becoming increasingly popular in folks' home gyms. They can be more effective than running on a treadmill and are a better full-body workout than a stationary bike.

Upvote 0
I've heard of Peloton and it's a big name in gym equipment. I guess that equipment would work your limbs, but does it work your abdomen and core? I'm not trying to change your mind, but I'll tell you what we have in case someone else reads it.

We decided to join an indoor rowing team and bought a Concept 2 indoor rower. It can be stood up to save room, but I'm on it every other day so it stays where it is (in our den, in view of our big TV so we can watch rowing scenery videos while using it). Indoor rowing works 86% of the body's major muscle groups in a smooth, zero-impact motion. And it's a workout!

The rower connects to the app on our phone and every aspect of our workout is uploaded to our logbook. We can compete against others, team up, or just improve a little here & there to beat our own personal best.

Peloton is the way you want to go, just be determined to use it consistently!

:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ok so i just changed the title from thinking about a peleton to getting an elliptical.

my only concern now is the room i want to put it in, the ceiling height is 96". the height of the elliptical is 71", but the pedals will lift you off the floor 4-6" so it is going to be close. i am small at 5'7".however, so it should work.

these are my top 3 that i am considering:

Last edited:
I think an elliptical is supposed to be a better workout. Whatever you get, don't let it gather dust. That's the key to any workout machine. If I had the room, I'd invest in a rowing machine. I well remember how rowing my boat back in the day and the full body effort it took. I was young then and had a great deal more muscle mass.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
My son and his wife are both fitness buffs. They work hard to stay in excellent shape. They live in a quad level home and the lowest level has been converted into a gym. It is full of equipment, has rubber gym flooring, and a sauna in one corner. They are a rare exception and use their gym daily.
It takes dedication and an extreme dedication to use their gym the way they do. It shows, they are both specimens in their mid to late forties.

I stayed in great shape through the years for my occupation was quite physically demanding and I worked fast and hard every day. My incentive was the quicker I accomplished the task at hand, the more money I made. If it were a gym in my basement I'd be like my old buddies that more than show their age now. Exercise is the key to being healthy. The discipline to exercise regularly is more difficult than whatever equipment exercise you can use.

Upvote 0
Best advice I can give you is don't. After a month you'll stop using it and it will collect dust. Join a gym, some are as little as $10 a month.
i have joined gyms before. they are great but not convenient for me. i come home late enough as it is. and to then come home even later by working out after i am off of work is not a thing i want to do. having an elliptical at home is much more convenient for me. the amount of money I spent on it is motivation enough for me. plus it will be cheaper for me in the long run.
There are also rental places. One of my wife's relatives have an exercise room and they are constantly switching exercise equipment. I think any new/different equipment will get you going on it until the novelty of it wears off.
for me though, i do not think the novelty will wear off. i have to stay fit, if i am to beat my type 2 diabetes. and renting equipment is not ideal. paying for an elliptical out right is much cheaper in the long run. i have a treadmill which i used to use, but my knees and feet can;t handle the abuse of using it which is why an elliptical is much better for me as it is a low impact workout.

but i guess only time will tell. and you guys have given me motivation to prove you guys wrong. i will check back here from time to time to let you know how i feel about it.

Reactions: olbriar and AugieTN
Upvote 0
Have your received and set up the elliptical? If you have, how are you liking it? You were concerned about your head clearance. How did that work out? Does it track the time of your workouts? Calories burned? Do you plan to keep a personal log of your workouts and weight and blood sugar levels?
Please do keep us abreast of your progress. We are all rooting for you. If the warnings that your elliptical might gather dust adds a level of incentive, good. We be family here and brothers stand together.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0
it is available for pick up at Dick's as of yesterday, but i have not done it yet....just did not have the time to down to get it. probably will pick it up on friday and assemble it on saturday. i contacted Sol and ask about my ceiling height and the told me that my ceiling height of 96" is more than enough for my short 5'7" frame. the room i plan on keeping it permanently still has the treadmill and a very long dresser. i need to get rid of them first before i can move the elliptical there. in the mean time i will assemble it and leave it in the front room. this room has a vaulted ceiling so ceiling height is not a concern until i move it.

Reactions: olbriar and AugieTN
Upvote 0
I would hope assembly is minimal.
Old Men Laughing GIF by ABC Network

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I always like to assemble stuff when it's well made, all the parts are there, and designed to fit together.
It's when I have to modify or drill or wait for a missing part or go buy a missing fastener that I become irate. I learned years ago that following the instructions is superior to assuming I don't need them. :)
It is almost always obvious how things go together but far often it's the sequence of construction that must be followed or I would get the cart in front of the horse so to speak and have to backup and redo.
I hope your assemble goes well. At least you don't have to hold the unit in the air to put the parts on it. :)

Reactions: AugieTN and ocnbrze
dick grayson batman GIF

the box it comes in is HUGE!!!!!!!! i have it in my work van as i just picked it up after work. it barely fits in my Ford Transit Connect work van. i am not sure, how i an going to just unload it into my house. gonna have to drag it i guess. i was tempted to grab a work dolly, but i did not do it.

oh well, i am just unwinding now, and i am contemplating on moving it in tonight by myself. and if i have any energy left. i might assemble it late into the night tonight.......or maybe at least get it started.

i'll report back later....probably tomorrow.

Reactions: AugieTN and olbriar
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones