• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I found out the Galaxy s6 I bought is actually a clone: How do I get it to work!? No apn settings.

So I purchased what I thought was a Galaxy s6. I had to call straight talk to get a nano sim card because I was using a s4 mini and it took a larger sim card. It was not until I got my sim card in and switched all of my information over and started using it that I realized something was not right. I tried to factory restore it because everytime I sent a text message I would get an error "invalid number please re-send using a valid 10 digit mobile number or valid short code". Restoring it did not help the problem. My data was not working either so I downloaded the straight talk data settings app but when i open it and run it says that it cannot find my settings. I was going to try to manually enter the APN settings but when I click APN it's blank, there is no option to add or nothing in that area at all.

At this point I just want to make this phone work for me until I can get a new one. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get the settings adjusted so that my data will work on this phone?

It might help if you can attach a screenshot of what it says in Settings-About Device. Perhaps mikedt or another of our resident Chinese phone experts will recognize it.
But, if you really did end up with a Chinese clone there probably isn't much you can do with it. Your best bet, if at all possible, would be to return it and get a real one. If that isn't an option just get the real one anyway and consider this a learning experience. Even if you can't use it as a phone it may still be serviceable as a wifi device (streaming music player etc). Or a paperweight.

Reactions: mikedt and KOLIO
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones