• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root i know Antutu isnt everything but...wth?

knoober

Android Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2014
So I got my device and have spent a little time mucking around with it. I usually will spend some time @ the stock config, just to see how things are different after the modding begins. And of.course part of that is the benchmark. I follow performance over benchmarking score, but I do expect better scores from a quad proc over a dual. I truly hope this device has some tricks up its sleeve or I will begin to feel ripped off here pretty quick

Last edited:
Reactions: blaqueknight
I'll try reinstall, good idea. I just figured this .device might actually be that big .if a POS :) are you rooted? Have you done any mods? Stock Rom/kernel? NM. If your rooted and on the best Rom and still getting such dismal scores I don't wanna know. I've been waiting to get a stock backup before rooting, but I might just have bite the bullet and take my backup afterwards

Upvote 0
You should check out this phone's page at xda. No one really comes here any more. I try to watch it just in case someone does to reroute them.

I've unlocked my bootloader, I have TWRP, and I'm rooted. I have a modded kernel, but afaik the devs are still working on performance improvements. I believe they ran into some problems when trying to overclock. This phone just came out September last year, you should give it some time and come over to xda to help out and learn more.

There are backups available on xda, also.

Upvote 0
So, for laughs I ran AnTuTu - once a fine app.

First -

1427087139435.jpg

- that statement is nonsense.

Second -

1427087178191.jpg

- so is that idea for more reasons than I can shake a stick at.

I once performance-tuned an HTC kernel and rom just to prove a point.

The benchmarks dropped to nearly half - and the actual performance shot through the roof.

Handed out my tweaks, at least a dozen people verified the same results.

OP, if you're going to feel ripped off, ok, but don't let a benchmark tool convince you of that.

They're just zero player video games. ;) :)

Btw - my phone topped 41k on AnTuTu.

Anyone want to believe that mine is overall more than twice as fast as yours?

Of course not.

So there it is.

Upvote 0
For a good time, check out "Monjori Shader Benchmark"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.swagner.monjori

Run it, enjoy the show, note your number, then go back, read the full description, and finally - the full comments list.

Hilarious.

Srsly funny stuff from people who just need to insist that they deserve a better number.

Or don't, it doesn't prove anything. But it is instructive. :)

Upvote 0
Ive been looking around at stuff in xda for sure. Honestly when I started posting here, xda was quite a bit over my head and AF was much more user friendly with a community that I could understand (I didnt get my advanced android degree yet so xda was not for me... yet) As of now, atleast with this particular device, xda has been a breeze to navigate and locate file at. And I entirely agree about benchmarks, well kinda. I find them to be usefull for me to "see" what Ive done to my device. At the very least I have a loose understanding of how they work and what they do, which makes them suspect to me. I care more for results that I can see and measure (like boot time) but I do default to a benchmark to be support my "gut" when I cannot measure. Which is my long way of saying I agree :)

Now its off to xda to see if they know why my device reboots every time I try to update the SU binary. Just in case someone here cares to weigh in.... I installed SU through TWRP (Ill get the link for ya if ya need it, but if you follow the sticky it is at the end of the thread that the sticky points to) After installing, I updated via the play store and everything seemed fine. After a reboot I got the notification to update the binary (which I am familiar with) and when I try to use the playstore method, I get a forced reboot and the binary is still in need of update.

I figured on trying the TWRP method (which has never worked for me on any other device) but I havent flashed the recovery yet, only booted to it using <fastboot boot recovery.img> because I wanted backups before messing with stuff.... and when I tried to take backups I ran into the internal storage/sd problem... which I needed root to fix, and then the SU binary needed an update, and I couldnt install busybox.... and the vicous circle continues.

Off to xda! :)

Upvote 0
So, for laughs I ran AnTuTu - once a fine app.

Anyone want to believe that mine is overall more than twice as fast as yours?

I dont know what your running (ill bet its in your profile or something though huh?) but I find it easy to beleive that its twice the device this one is, especially in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing (as you seem to)

This performance of this device (all benchmarks aside) is not even close to what I expect from the hardware. I moved over from a One SV (with about 1/2 the processing power) and from what Ive seen it would mop the floor with this ... cant think of a word bad enough. I am taking it with a grain of salt as the knight suggested though, I am sure with the proper mods that this device will be dynamite. But now, it isnt :(

Upvote 0
CF-Bench is a decent CPU benchmark.

You're unlocked and have a nandroid backup?

Install TWRP, flash the SuperSU update from TWRP, and if you want, monitor the system.

If I had to guess, it's Boost bloatware.
Yeah I've unlocked but nandroid is a nogo. It went like this:
1) <fastboot boot recovery.img>
2) make nandroid, oh wait I cant because of the idiot way the internal memory works on these things and I havent fixed it yet. (On that topic, could I simply edit the fstab and direct the internal memory to mount all in the same place thereby making one large internal memory repository?)
3) exit TWRP , oh you'd like to root for me? Okay! Yeah Root!
4) Bummer, SU Binary update makes the device reboot uncontrollable and a factory reset doesnt take it back to bone stock and blah blah blah :)

Im hoping its just the bloat. I dont think Ive ever seen the bloat casue this much trouble though.
Thanks for the advice on the benching app, Ill check it out. ANd I do plan to check out the one that you and the knight were talking about earlier. When they talk about tether in relation to android, it should mean being tethered to google and trying to read the whole internet :)

Is your opinion about the bloat extending to my problem with the SU binary? if nothing else I havent tried flashing it manually yet. Most of the time Id rather fix the problem then work around it though. Until I get angry at the technology that is, and Im almost angry enough to work around this one(I just want my phone now, before I was excited about a new toy :) When I find a working solution Ill post it here just for shits and giggles. A quick walk around xda showed this type of problem to be intermitent, and often those who used a different install method didnt face the issue. There doesnt seem to be a tried and true method yet. Just hunt and peck and you'll get it. There's no reports of hard bricks yet anyway.

As always thanks for the help :)

Upvote 0
Oh oh oh - yeah.

@scotty85 explained the real reason elsewhere, naturally, I don't remember the details, but fastboot booting a recovery from your pc is a no go on the latest HTCs. Including mine.

Obviously, I'm going to give you the party line because I firmly believe it - modify nothing further without a nandroid backup.

So what are your options?

Have you already unlocked using HTCdev.com?

Have you installed Terminal Emulator, and in it said -

su
(wait for root authorization)

mount -o rw,remount /system

And then tried the SuperSU Play Store update?

Upvote 0
Oh oh oh - yeah.

@scotty85 explained the real reason elsewhere, naturally, I don't remember the details, but fastboot booting a recovery from your pc is a no go on the latest HTCs. Including mine.

Obviously, I'm going to give you the party line because I firmly believe it - modify nothing further without a nandroid backup.

So what are your options?

Have you already unlocked using HTCdev.com?

Have you installed Terminal Emulator, and in it said -

su
(wait for root authorization)

mount -o rw,remount /system

And then tried the SuperSU Play Store update?

Hmmm I had no idea that fastboot booting was an issue. . I agree about the nandroid. That was the big goal in the first place, a stock nandroid and a stock recovery.img . Problem being the storage space... which I dont know how to fix without root. Cant take a backup with no space to put one at... unless there is an option that I missed and you can specify where the backup is to go?

I dont recognize the arguments you used (is that mount -o = mount without permissions? then remount the /system with read and write?) But I see a few options:

putting the SU binary on the root of the sd and flashing it through TWRP (which did load via the pc , but i still dont want to flash it unless I can get a stock img)

I had also considered taht maybe this device just doesnt want to play with SuperSU and wants a different Superuser app, but I think I would have read about that as well, so the next option is just to unroot from SuperSU and see if I can get a fresh start from a factory reset. Before doing that though Ill wait to hear what those commands you listed were, after all that could be promising.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones