• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I think I was scammed

Retro7

Lurker
Apr 1, 2017
(Sorry for bad English) I bought a JVC LT-49N675 smart tv. (I live in Israel) I searched it up and all I found was Israeli content about this tv. I used a VPN to research that from America but I didn't find anything in English (I was still getting Israeli content, but less). I even tried jvc's website but also there i didn't find anything. When I turned on the TV It showed the JVC logo but very blurry (That's a 4k tv) so I started to suspect a little. I hopped into the settings and went to "About TV" and it showed the android version was 4.2.1 (even though they claimed it was 4.4), the model version was l4300 (that's a L) and when I got to system information It said the manufacturer was "Toshiba"... I searched up "Toshiba l4300 smart tv" and I found there is such a tv! it has different sizes but the closest I found was 50L4300 which is 49.5 inch and the jvc tv is 49. If I go to "Backup & Reset" and then "OTA Settings" it shows me where I can update the device, but it always says "server exception". Sometimes the tv just freezes and doesn't do anything until we unplug and replug the AC cord. If I try to update "Google Play Services" it gives an error, so I can't use some things because it needs the services to be updated. If I install "TVLauncher" because I like it, after some time that it's on the tv restarts itself. The TV itself (where you do what is not associated with the smart tv) is also blurry. So, can someone tell me what is on with my TV?

I also forgot to tell: for some reason, when I try to cast my computer to the tv, the pc doesn't find it and so the phone. To cast I need to go to the TV's ip with a special port, and install an app or download it (for the pc) called EShare, and for android it downloads an apk file for the app. You also can't use Google's Android TV Remote because, as mentioned before, it can't see it as an android tv.

Upvote 0
Is it this you've got there?
http://www.zap.co.il/models.aspx?sog=e-tv&db189989=190020
I can't read Hebrew, and presumably it's sold and intended for the Israeli market. But if its freezing, blurry, and generally not doing what you require, might be best to contact the place where you bought it, and report the problems to them.

Eshare is this, http://www.ee-share.com/ http://www.eshare.cn/ Basically it's an Apple Airplay compatible wireless casting system. And because it's Airplay, if you had an Apple Mac or iOS device, rather than a PC, it would work straight away with the TV without having to install anything. My Android DLP smart-projector does the same thing, can screen-cast from my Macbook Air straight away, but for my Android phone have to install the app.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First, thanks for answering. Second, yes, this is where i got it from. Third, you still didn't answered me why is it JVC with toshiba firmware...?
Again, thanks for the quick answer

Because quite possibly it was made by Toshiba. Frankly it's a long time since I've seen the JVC brand, and I'm thinking 1980s here, cassette personal stereos, old school ghetto blasters and things.

Other than what I've found and posted, I don't know anything else about this TV.

Upvote 0
I guess because Toshiba is the OEM(Original Equipment Maker), that makes products with whatever branding and customizing that might be required by the client. I believe JVC is actually Kenwood now, who makes audio products, and not TVs AFAIK. The original Japan Victor Corp(JVC) no longer exists. And presumably they're using their JVC brand for these smart-TVs. That often happens, there's another company making someone else's products.

For all we know, the TV itself could have probably been made in China by Foxconn or Pegatron or something.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones