• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I told Dropbox to go $#@& themselves!

I finally had it with Dropbox. I'd been unhappy with it for a long time, but just didn't have the energy to do anything about it. Then the last straw happened, and I said to hell with it!

Long story, but I'm done with DB. I've switched to a paid plan on Drive. So far, no complaints, although they don't have a native Linux client. I can easily up- and download files from my computers [using my browser], but a native app would be nice. I know about several third-party apps, but haven't felt a need to try them yet.

"no native Linux client" ? @MoodyBlues , Dropbox must have really ....
"PISSED YOU OFF!!"

There, I said it for you. :D

Yes, they did. The first thing was the problem itself. The last straw was when they marked my post about it as 'spam,' and deleted it from their forum. :eek:

There was absolutely nothing in my post that justified its deletion. I simply stated the facts about the issue, explained why it was a big problem for people who have zillions of files, and suggested a fix. Poof! Marked as spam and deleted.

Well, &^%$ you, DB! :mad:
I'm glad you found an alternative. :)
Thanks, me too. :)

By the way, not having a native Linux client really isn't a big deal; I had stopped using DB's a long time ago. I found that I didn't want or like using auto-sync, preferring to manually back things up at will. That may sound death-defyingly risky, but it's not. Once all my existing, important stuff is backed up, there's no need to automatically back up every new file that's created. In fact, I find that quite annoying!

For example, with Google Photos and Amazon Photos, I kept finding myself faced with hundreds of unwanted files I then had to delete. That's because I take multiple shots of everything, then go through and pick the best one(s) to keep. I also take tons of screenshots, but they're usually just for temporary use. But they ALL get uploaded! Recently, I've been tweaking my settings to solve that problem, so it should keep getting better.

Reactions: MrJavi and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I know that you have alreadg found an alternative, but have you ever heard of Degoo?

100GB of free storage is the starting plan.

How to keep it? Log in once a month.

I have had a free account since late Feb and it seems to work fine.

There are multiple larger account options, but 100GB for free is a very nice upgrade from Drive's 15GB for free.

https://degoo.com/

Upvote 0
"PISSED YOU OFF!!"

There, I said it for you. :D

Yes, they did. The first thing was the problem itself. The last straw was when they marked my post about it as 'spam,' and deleted it from their forum. :eek:

There was absolutely nothing in my post that justified its deletion. I simply stated the facts about the issue, explained why it was a big problem for people who have zillions of files, and suggested a fix. Poof! Marked as spam and deleted.

Well, &^%$ you, DB! :mad:

Thanks, me too. :)

By the way, not having a native Linux client really isn't a big deal; I had stopped using DB's a long time ago. I found that I didn't want or like using auto-sync, preferring to manually back things up at will. That may sound death-defyingly risky, but it's not. Once all my existing, important stuff is backed up, there's no need to automatically back up every new file that's created. In fact, I find that quite annoying!

For example, with Google Photos and Amazon Photos, I kept finding myself faced with hundreds of unwanted files I then had to delete. That's because I take multiple shots of everything, then go through and pick the best one(s) to keep. I also take tons of screenshots, but they're usually just for temporary use. But they ALL get uploaded! Recently, I've been tweaking my settings to solve that problem, so it should keep getting better.

lol you actually made me laugh out loud. hehehe Too funny. :) Just the first part

Edit: The second not funny ar all. Marked as Spam! What a freaking insult. JUST FOR THAT IM DELETE DROP BOX FROM MY ROM PERMANENTLY!
Just hearing that they treated you that way is upsetting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are multiple larger account options, but 100GB for free is a very nice upgrade from Drive's 15GB for free.
Thanks for the info, puppy. :)

I've had a paid DB account for eons, and needed something similar to switch to, fast, as my billing date was just days away. Drive was handy, and I just grabbed it and ran!

Its prices are lower than DB's, so that's nice. For example, Drive's 2TB plan is $100/year, while DB's is $120. Not a huge difference, but still.

I'll keep Degoo in mind...in case Drive pisses me off! :D

Upvote 0
I know that you have alreadg found an alternative, but have you ever heard of Degoo?

100GB of free storage is the starting plan.

How to keep it? Log in once a month.

I have had a free account since late Feb and it seems to work fine.

https://degoo.com/
Always looking for altneratives for DB. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones