• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ICS with working 4g...who has flashed it?

Been running it most of the day now on one of my bionics. It is pretty damn fast. 3g/4g works but is still in and out. I am sure that will be worked out. When you restart you have to do the gsm/cdma swap thing each time for 3g/4g to work with *#*#4636#*#*
The camera still don't work. Other then that is is pretty nice.

Upvote 0
Been running it most of the day now on one of my bionics. It is pretty damn fast. 3g/4g works but is still in and out. I am sure that will be worked out. When you restart you have to do the gsm/cdma swap thing each time for 3g/4g to work with *#*#4636#*#*
The camera still don't work. Other then that is is pretty nice.

Ah right, the camera problem.

Well I'll just get to 902 and put Eclipse 2.1 on. I'll wait for a bit.

Upvote 0
Another silly question....Droidmodder's instructions says:

"Google Apps or GApps as they are called are no longer included in the ROM. Please download both packages and flash the ROM followed by the GApps then boot up."

So, is he saying to use the same procedure for both the ROM and the gApps package?:

1. wipe data/factory reset and press power.
2. install zip from sdcard option and select it.
3. Select choose zip from sdcard.
4. Select your desired ROM zip and press power to install.
5. Once completely flashed, reboot.

Upvote 0
I have two camera apps on my phone. Would they work? Or does this mean NO camera app (either stock or otherwise) works?

It's not the apps that are a problem, it's the system itself. No camera apps will work.

Another silly question....Droidmodder's instructions says:

"Google Apps or GApps as they are called are no longer included in the ROM. Please download both packages and flash the ROM followed by the GApps then boot up."

So, is he saying to use the same procedure for both the ROM and the gApps package?:

1. wipe data/factory reset and press power.
2. install zip from sdcard option and select it.
3. Select choose zip from sdcard.
4. Select your desired ROM zip and press power to install.
5. Once completely flashed, reboot.

Do that for the first image, then for the second just flash it on top then wipe dalvik. Technically you will have never started it, so wiping may not do anything, but I'd do it anyway.

Upvote 0
So, wipe dalvik then flash (using Install zip from SD card) and restart?

I will flash the rom when the camera is fixed.

Okay, I just did this.

So you flash ICS. Reboot. Then set it up, etc. Then you go back into safestrap again and apply the other zip for the GApps.

If you don't do them separately, you boot loop all day long (learned that the hard way).

Reactions: al23
Upvote 0
Hows the 4g working for anyone who has tried it? There's some discussion at other forums that 3g and 4g drop out constantly and some are saying they shouldnt have claimed the data is fully working yet. I guess the main dev who works on this lives in a non 4g area so he could only assume he got it working. Theyre already working hard on tweaking it but just curious how everyones connection is doing so far. I just did the 902 update. Trying to decide if I wanna throw eclipse 2.1 over it or actually give this ICS a try.

Upvote 0
Hows the 4g working for anyone who has tried it? There's some discussion at other forums that 3g and 4g drop out constantly and some are saying they shouldnt have claimed the data is fully working yet. I guess the main dev who works on this lives in a non 4g area so he could only assume he got it working. Theyre already working hard on tweaking it but just curious how everyones connection is doing so far. I just did the 902 update. Trying to decide if I wanna throw eclipse 2.1 over it or actually give this ICS a try.

I put 2.1 over it, backed it up and then went to ICS on the safe system. Everything seems to be working.

I had one short hiccup, but I just toggled airplane mode on and off to fix it.

I'm on Wi-Fi, so I haven't done much testing, but I'll try 4g for a bit tonight.

Reactions: PowerBomb
Upvote 0
Just loaded it up on my Bionic. They already adjusted for the connectivity issues today, so disregard that last post of mine. After messing with the radio settings a bit after first start up, 4G signal has been full and contstant.

1z4lcf5.jpg

Upvote 0
I put 2.1 over it, backed it up and then went to ICS on the safe system. Everything seems to be working.

I had one short hiccup, but I just toggled airplane mode on and off to fix it.

I'm on Wi-Fi, so I haven't done much testing, but I'll try 4g for a bit tonight.

I tried installing first Eclipse (2.1) then ICS using safestrap last night. Neither was installed successfully. The recovery too was a nightmare. I was up til 3 AM and had to install 902 from a zip (which honestly seems inferior to the over the air update). It's unclear what I did wrong, but when i tried to restore, I saw a blank screen. It took three attempts before I was able to restore the system. It was restored to 886, which I assumed was the last radio I saved. When I tried to search for the OTA update, the system seemed not to work. hence my updating from a zip file. Thankfully I had installed it on my SD.

As for eclipse, the screen appeared to boot, but was stuck in a bootloop. ICS? That ROM did not work at all. Not sure what I did wrong.

Upvote 0
Yeah... I only switched to Safestrap to mess around with ICS and I can say I'm not too thrilled with it either. ICS worked for me most of the night but then I had some issues, so I went back into Safestrap and redid everything, and when I'd finally be ready to reboot, all I'd get is a black screen with the soft keys lit up. Don't think that even qualifies as a boot loop when you don't even see your boot animation. I never had any issues switching around ROMs constantly just using Bootstrap. The idea behind Safestrap is great but it seems to have some hiccups. This happened to me multiple times throughout the night where I'd go through the long process of wiping everything, flashing, waiting for things to load, just to get a black screen. Once the ICS ROM is tweaked and they get the camera working and everything, I'm going back to Bootstrap. Having 2 systems stored on the phone seems to eat up a lot of memory too. But I guess the theory behind Safestrap works well, because when I'd be faced with a locked up black screen, as long as I pulled the battery and restarted, I'd be met with the splash screen that still let me get into recovery. Definitely a nice way to access recovery.

Reactions: al23
Upvote 0
You just summarized my friday night. And as much as I would like to try ICS, I am thinking of just going back to Bootstrap. Better the devil you know than one you don't. When I finally restored my phone, I decided that I am better off with bootstrap. Using bootstrap to flash roms was never an issue.

The memory issue, too, is a concern.

Upvote 0
For anyone wanting to keep up with the developments of this ROM, try to keep up with Dhacker29 on Twitter as he is the main developer, or just do Google searches for "ICS4BIONIC" and change your advanced search settings to only get results from the past 24 hours.

The latest release has been extremely stable for me. Constant 4G signal. The battery life has also been the best since I've had my Bionic, close to 14 hours unplugged and it is reporting 40%, and I've even got my clock speed bumped up to 1.2ghz.

For anyone who gets too excited about loading up ICS to read the full directions, make sure once the ROM is up and running, you go into the dialer and enter *#*#4643#*#* to enter the phone menu, change the radio to GSM only until the screen flickers a few times, and then switch it back to GSM/CDMA Auto. You should see your signal icon finally connecting and 4G will be ready in a few seconds. I'm sure they'll get this worked out soon but for now it takes a few extra steps to get your data working. Dhacker already posted a screen shot where he added this option into the regular settings>wireless network menu so you can switch to GSM and back again without having to get to that hidden menu. Not sure if he has packed this into a new ROM version yet, but he's already trying to make things easier for us.

Reactions: fyrmd and Jeffery
Upvote 0
Okiedokie, so here are my results:

The 2-09 version had data drops every other minute! So that sucked, but...

2-10 works like a charm, as he fixed the drops.

Do you think it makes a difference if bootstrap is used instead of safestrap? I am able to install, but am having issues. Now I get it to install, but each time I reboot, it reboots into CWM recovery (which isn't bad at all, just annoying).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones