• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If Straight Talk cut my service off can I.....

Fuzzy13

Extreme Android User
Dec 8, 2011
A-T-L-A-N-T-A
This hasn't happened but I would like to know my options in advance in case that ever happens. But If ST did cut my service off for using too much data, would I be able to sign back up with the same number? Or would I have to get a new sim and a new number and basically start over? How does that all work?

Once they cancel your account the number is released. If it was a ST number to begin with you might be able to get it back if it hasn't been reassigned. If it was ported from another carrier, it's released back to the original carrier and the chances of ST getting it back for you are slim.

If you can get your account reinstated you can probably reuse the sim card. If they don't reinstate the original account you have to start over with a new sim.

Reactions: Fuzzy13
Upvote 0
Port your number to Google Voice. Then nothing Straight Talk does to you will cause you to lose your number. You can jump from carrier to carrier at whim while all the time still using your same number.

I've heard of people doing such but to be honest, my knowledge on g voice is very limited. Could you share some more info with me? What I would have to do, how it works, etc....

I don't pIan on this ever happening but the fact that it's very relevant abs could potentially happen is the only reason I'd like to have a plan in case it does. I'd rather sick with them then any of the other carriers so I want to make it work regardless of what could potentially ever happen.

Upvote 0
I used to have Verizon. Before I left them to go to BoostMobile, I ported my cell number to Google Voice. Then, when I bought my BoostMobile phone, I went to Google Voice and added the new cell phone's number (one that came with the BoostMobile phone) to the list of phones that Google Voice will forward calls to (old number forwards to as many phones as you like!). To make outgoing calls use your Google Voice number (and not your actual cell number - BoostMobile's in this case), you install the Google Voice app on your phone. It routes your outbound call to reflect your Google Voice number.

Now cool thing is that I had to change carriers again... now I use Straight Talk's Proclaim (Verizon towers vs Sprint towers on BoostMobile) and was able to have Google Voice ring BOTH phones (for the remainder of the BoostMobile service)... so I never missed a call.

I highly recommend you just jump in and try it. The most awesome part of it all, is that you can buy an ObiHai box (appox $50 at Amazon) and get your Google Voice number to also ring normal home phones in your house... Never pay for a home phone line again! Someone calls your old cell number (which is now on Google Voice) and your cell AND home phone ring... answer whichever you like... they can always get you. == The home phone option was great for me since the cell coverage in the house sucks.

Still nervous? No problem. Just go ahead and set up Google Voice. Use a number they provide... you don't need to port your number right away. Have it forward to your cell and play with the Google Voice app... and home phone... and when you are done being amazed, port your cell number to Google Voice. If for some strange reason you don't like it... then no harm, no foul. Just stop using it before you port your number.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones