• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help If you get a replacement phone, do you have to send back the old phone if it's paid for?

JohnJSal

Android Expert
Jun 17, 2010
Hi everyone. My sister is having trouble with her S4, mainly it doesn't seem to hold a charge and it won't turn on anymore. But whatever the problem, T-Mobile has sent her a replacement S4 because we have some kind of monthly fee for a warranty/replacement thing.

But they are telling her to send back her original (non-working) phone. But does she need to do this if it's fully paid for? Isn't this her phone now, even if she gets a replacement? Isn't that why we are paying the monthly warranty fee?

Thanks!

I don't think the phone is specifically on warranty. I think we just have a monthly insurance fee. I couldn't think of that term when I made the post. But still, the phone is fully paid for.

You are misunderstanding what the fee is for; the fee is merely payment for an extended warranty, and likely added insurance in case you lose your phone. Since the phone is having physical issues, you are using the warranty part of the payment, and are required to return the phone.

If you lose the phone, you can use the insurance part and get a replacement phone (no requirement to return the phone) but they will blacklist the old phone -- it won't be usable on a carrier in the US. Another idea is to compare it to auto insurance (though it typically doesn't include the extended maintenance warranty); if you car "breaks" (comparable to drop damage on the phone) they will fix your car (or your phone) -- not give you a new one. If the car is overly broken (considered not able to be repaired) or stolen, then they will replace your car. Insurance does not allow for you to have two cars (or phones) if you submit a claim.

Upvote 0
The easiest way to determine what your sister's responsibilities are under the terms of the warranty/insurance contract is to read it. I'm sure you were given a copy of it when you signed up for the plan, but most carriers will also have the terms posted online somewhere.

It is common for these plans to require return of the defective or damaged device, usually to verify that your claim is valid.

Reactions: JohnJSal
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones