• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If you're missing your FM Radio after Lollipop

Sadly, I was missing FM Radio before Lollipop. VZW disabled it completely without root. I even tried side loading the apk on my stock, unrooted VZW M8 and it wouldn't even install. Received errors up the wazoo.... I really wish someone would become a true contender to VZW signal strength and reliability in my area. So far no one can match their coverage where I live, work, play, etc. so I go with VZW since my job requires constant and reliable connection and VZW screws us all on anything that could bypass their money maker dubbed "data".......

That is all...

Kratos

Reactions: today
Upvote 0
Check out "NextRadio - Free FM Radio"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nextradioapp.nextradio

KitKat and Lollipop compatible and claimed to work on all carriers for the M8.

Go to settings, interface to change to basic radio or else you'll get Internet radio.

If it works, try enhanced mode, you'll get a nice set of tiles for all of your local stations.

Unlike the HTC radio, it won't display RDS data.

It does receive it and will use it to give you an ad to buy the song off of the Internet somewhere. I've never tried it.

If you put it back into basic tuner mode after getting the enhanced list from the Internet, it'll work without touching your network data again and the ads go away.

I've confirmed this by gating it in stages through my root firewall.

I find the M8 radio sensitivity is lower than my previous LTEvo.

If NextRadio works for you but you get reception problems, it's not the app.

It seems to perform just the same as the stock HTC radio.

Last edited:
Reactions: markdoc
Upvote 0
Check out "NextRadio - Free FM Radio"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nextradioapp.nextradio

KitKat and Lollipop compatible and claimed to work on all carriers for the M8.

Go to settings, interface to change to basic radio or else you'll get Internet radio.

If it works, try enhanced mode, you'll get a nice set of tiles for all of your local stations.

Unlike the HTC radio, it won't display RDS data.

It does receive it and will use it to give you an ad to buy the song off of the Internet somewhere. I've never tried it.

If you put it back into basic tuner mode after getting the enhanced list from the Internet, it'll work without touching your network data again and the ads go away.

I've confirmed this by gating it in stages through my root firewall.

I find the M8 radio sensitivity is lower than my previous LTEvo.

If NextRadio works for you but you get reception problems, it's not the app.

It seems to perform just the same as the stock HTC radio.
Maybe in wrong but my phone came with next radio out of the box... I can't ever make it work right but mine had it from the start....

Upvote 0
I'm not rooted how ever this not the same phone I've had. My phone was having "issues" after the 5.0 update and HTC decided I needed a new phone... I still have the HTC one HK from sprint Im on the new update too... This phone had next radio out of the box... My old one I think also had next radio too, because I never remember using anything but next radio... I would like to know y I don't have that tho!

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
OK, so it has to be idiosyncratic with something.

My M8 is *way* rooted lol but WifelyMon's is not.

I found out about the issue when I went to use her phone only one day and it had no radio, after some update, so I learned about NextRadio and installed it from the Play Store. (The Play Store discussion at the time was all about getting your missing Sprint radio.) Removed after I gave her the phone back - and noticed during this discussion that she has the HTC radio now.

So my wild guess - Sprint adopted the NextRadio as your press release showed, some phones got it baked in - and I guess the update installer is sensitive to that.

But - hers is a Best Buy warranty replacement since before Lollipop so maybe that's part of her deal and isn't the norm.

Danged confusing. :(

Maybe someone with a Sprint stock phone with a long history can help clear this up with what they're seeing?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones