• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root In app-adblocker ?

Haloman800

Aug 8, 2010
Not too long ago there was a free application called "AdBlock" for rooted users, or something similar named on the market.

The icon was a white backround with black font that said "AD" & a red circle with a line going through it.

My phone recently flipped out on me & I was forced to wipe clean, now the app's gone from the market =*(.

Does ANYONE have this app installed or have the .apk? It was a free app so I don't think the dev would mind you sharing it with me.

If not, do you know of an application that blocks the ads in apps? I'm rooted so that's not a problem.

Thank you.

FYI, if this app ever does get removed from the market, ad blocking can be achieved on rooted phones by doing manually what the app does for you: replacing /system/etc/hosts with a hosts file you can get from mvps.org or one you create yourself. It just makes the IP address for ad servers resolve to 127.0.0.1.

Upvote 0
FYI, if this app ever does get removed from the market, ad blocking can be achieved on rooted phones by doing manually what the app does for you: replacing /system/etc/hosts with a hosts file you can get from mvps.org or one you create yourself. It just makes the IP address for ad servers resolve to 127.0.0.1.

Just to expand a bit, though I'm sure YOU already knew this: The hosts file maps a hostname to an IP address. 127.0.0.1 is localhost, aka a loop back to yourself. So if you're mapping ad servers to the localhost, they'll never be able to get their data because they're not pulling from their proper IP address.

AdFree automatically checks for updates. It makes life so much easier than keeping your hosts file up to date by yourself. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones