• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Install CWM via stock recovery... or a better solution

I have a soft-bricked AP-GS918 tablet that is stuck in bootloop. I only have stock recovery. I do have another identical tablet that I dumped the recovery partition to recovery.img that I uploaded to the clockworkmod builder page and got in return a CWM recovery image. The question now is how do I install it via stock recovery? Can I make a flashable update.zip from the CWM image? Any help is appreciated

P.S. the soft-bricked is rooted

its not possible to flash anything in stock recovery, they protect it so that only zip files signed with the oem's keys can be flashed preventing users from just flashing anything.

What about a temp CWM? I can use the one designed for the Engage... But it won't mount anything when I use it. Unfortunately I don't know how to convert it to use my recovery.img

Upvote 0
im not sure what you mean

I installed Temp_CWM_Recovery-Engage.zip from here... [CWM & Stock Recovery] ZTE Engage ... I just changed the name to update.zip and loaded it from stock recovery and it rebooted into a temporary custom recovery but wouldn't mount the system because it wasn't designed for my device. But I am clueless as to the steps to create a temp zip from my custom recovery.img

Upvote 0
interesting, seems your recovery is only expecting test signed zips, which means that it should be capable of flashing things in it. this is a TERRIBLE security lapse, but it does mean that you should be able to get it setup. have you tested teh recovery.img on the working tablet?

I have not because the rom manager program says that the device isn't supported... Even though the I uploaded the recovery to the cwm builder and got a custom made. Unless there is an alternative way of installing it

Upvote 0
until the recovery is tested and confirmed working, then the source needs to be forked to cm's github and then an official cwm would be made.

you can dd the recovery image back on from where you dumped it off on the working tablet. if it works then we know a real easy cwm port can be done and flashed to your bootlooping one. from tehre you can do a nandroid on the good one and restore it on the bootlooping one and have a working device again :)

Upvote 0
until the recovery is tested and confirmed working, then the source needs to be forked to cm's github and then an official cwm would be made.

you can dd the recovery image back on from where you dumped it off on the working tablet. if it works then we know a real easy cwm port can be done and flashed to your bootlooping one. from tehre you can do a nandroid on the good one and restore it on the bootlooping one and have a working device again :)

I dumped it using adb... dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd5 of=/sdcard/recovery.img... But I don't know what to use to put the new one in its place. Thanks by the way... You are super helpful :)

Upvote 0
Hi everyone! I too have a Double Power GS-918 tablet that now gets stuck at the boot up with a circle spinning around the Go. DOPO told me how to do a standard factory reset by holding power and volume down at power up, but that did not help. I would like to flash the stock image from micro-SD card back to the tablet, but DOPO won't give me the stock rom. They want $50.00 to fix their tablet because they say it is too complicated to flash the firmware.

Does anybody have the stock ROM for the DOPO GS-918 tablet or know of another compatible rom? I beliee this tablet is also known as the M9025, EM69, AP-9S575, TM-9S575, AP-9S775, TM-9S775, AP-9S180, TM-9S180, AP-9S765, TM-9S765, D9560, M9560, DG9600, DM-9600, M9100, DA09DARM, or DA09DSD depending on who sold it. At least that is what the Chinese manufacture told the US FCC office in a letter saying that all these tablets were functionally identical except for the casing. So, maybe the firmware file for one of these other models would also work.

It was a great tablet, but Double Power's refusal to provide a basic ROM that I can download and restore is very frustrating. Buyer beware, their support is terrible!

I greatly appreciate any suggestions for getting my tablet working again. Thanks!

Reactions: outsideratx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones