• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Installing USB Ethernet Adapter drivers

Ascii2

Oct 16, 2015
I recently got an ASIX AX88179 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter for my Android device running CyanogenMod based on Android 5.1.1 and the 3.4.* kernel.

The drivers for the device are provided as source code and are available:
http://www.asix.com.tw/FrootAttach/driver/AX88179_178A_LINUX_DRIVER_v1.14.2_SOURCE.tar.gz

ASIX represents that the drivers are "For Android 1.x/2.x/3.x/4.x/5.x, Linux kernel 2.6.25 and later".

I attempted to compile the drivers using the CyanogenMod-included Terminal emulator App, but could not get anything to compile. It seemed that the "make" command or tool is not recognized.

I found a note in the drivers source readme file:
Code:
Prepare to build the driver, you need the Linux kernel sources installed on the
build machine, and make sure that the version of the running kernel must match
the installed kernel sources.

I found kernel sources on https://www.kernel.org/ . How do I make use of the kernel sources?

The version 3.4.* kernel is frequently updated. Should I be recompiling the driver with new, updated kernel sources every time a new kernel version is installed?

Must the drivers be compiled on the system they are to be used on?

Is there a better way to handle driver preparations or acquisitions?

Last edited:
<ul style='margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;'>
<li dir='ltr'>Prepare to build the driver, you need the Linux kernel sources installed on the</li>
</ul>

<li dir='ltr'>build machine, and make sure that the version of the running kernel must match</li>
</ul>

<li dir='ltr'>the installed kernel sources</li>
</ul>

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones