• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

International calling while traveling

I am an AT&T Wireless customer on a Mobile Share Value (30GB) plan. I will be in Mexico soon, and spoke with an AT&T rep on the phone this morning. I'd like to confirm what she told me:
  • I will pay for outbound calls ($1/min) and outbound texts ($0.50/sms, $1.4o/mms)
  • All inbound calls and inbound texts are free (included in my Mobile Share Value plan
Is this true? I'd like to confirm the free inbound stuff so I'm not surprised with a crazy bill when I get home.
(I will be turning off all mobile data before I arrive in Mexico).

Thanks,

David

According to my traveling friends, when they travel they go to a cellular shop at the destination and buy a SIM to use. Whether it's cheaper that way or not, I'm not sure as I don't know the costs of a SIM. It's basically a prepaid SIM (limited data and minutes)

To go with an international SIM you need to be sure your phone supports the cellular frequencies at the destination and is carrier unlocked to use the international SIM -which you can request AT&T to provide you the unlock code for your phone if you qualify

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
I agree with @egDonald. I am also an AT&T customer and travel, but either get an international plan (and then cancel it on my retuirn) or a local SIM. I know incoming international SMS messages used to get charged at $.50 ea. I don't recall if i was charged the last time I was in Mexico, but I don't think so. At least I don't remember being shocked by a huge bill.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones