• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Internet Usage

Orange don't normally send out a GPRS itemised bills to anyone, we don't see how your data is being used just a view of what packet data amounts are being transferred and at what times.

If you need any help I can maybe look into it for you? El Presidente has the perfect answer going forward though, use an app to analyze whats using your data.

I see this as a licence to print money

I monitor my data useage VERY carefully and for the past 12 months, my figure has always been some 50Mb less than Orange have calculated. No biggie as I'm never over my allowance but I know that one day, I'll think i'm ok, you'll say I've gone over and when I ask for proof, you'll churn out some "Data protection" rubbish.
I'm sure if the Police wanted to know the information in order to clarify some details in a murder case, the information would be readily available, Orange potentially falsifying figures to get more money out of a customer is also wrong surely.... Theft even. I don't see why service providers can't just provide the lists if requested to allow comparison. They'd only have to do it for a few months until the public trusted that the methods were fair and accurate.

I'd love to just charge my customers more without telling them why and if they didn't pay, remove access to the service.....

Upvote 0
Any reasonably modern Android device should give you a way to look at data usage. My S3 does this reasonably well, giving usage by application and allowing me to set warning.

Now, having actually tried to demonstrate to a customer that a GPRS/3G rating system is working accurately, I can tell you this is hard. Establish a data session and a Symbian phone and an Android phone and download the same web page and you may find the usage reported by the phones are radically different to one and other. Then you have how the phones and the operator count (or not) control messages in the data.

In the case of my Samsung S3, the data usage it reports between any two billing dates is usually 5-10 MB higher than Orange reports in the bill. This suggests that Orange is likely billing for those bytes pertaining to things we can see.

Upvote 0
I can offer a little insight on this one. I no longer work for Orange since the merger, however until the middle of last year I was the Billing Test Manager. As such I managed the testing of tariffs, investigation of live incidents and also the regulatory billing testing required by OFCOM and BABT.

For the regular testing of billing and charging they use an automated call generation tool. They have a number of calling "robots" that are dotted around the country. These make calls, texts and data sessions that number in the hundreds of thousands per month. The system is capable of detecting any discrepancies with the billing system to within 1/10th of a penny. Calls are easy to check the accuracy of as the system can call machine to machine and measure the duration on both the inward and outward leg of the call. Texts are also easy as they are very definite in their nature, made up of single 160 character messages. Data on the other hand consists of many elements, the actual page or item you are downloading, but also contains uploads for requesting the page, page headers and also retries for when the page is taking too long or data lost in transmission. Therefore what is measured at the handset isn't always the same as that which is measured by the network for the full transmission. For testing we would download a specific file and check the amount of traffic billed.

As for asking Orange to disclose exactly what sites you have accessed, this is particularly tricky and treads into quite a murky area. For billing purposes it is perfectly fine and legal for any network provider to collect a certain amount of data, this can include time, date number called etc. Texts are the same. For data they can only disclose the time, date and amount of bytes. Any more information than that would essentially be the same as listening to your calls or reading your texts. To do so would require a warrant and disclosure under RIPA.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones