• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone 4 to Galaxy S3: Unimpressed so far

To the OP, Volt9000.

You claim to be a "power-user" but did no research before buying an Android phone to replace your iPhone 4. This is like buying your first Mac and then complaining because it isn't exactly like Windows and can't do things exactly the same way as the Windows PC you have used for the last 2 years.

I did research the device, although admittedly I probably should have researched a bit more. Truth be told, a lot of things about GS3/Android I nitpick about, only because I'm such a pedant. Also, to be fair, there are many things that you will only find out once you get the device and start getting a feel for it. Unfortunately, I did not have any opportunity to try one out in great detail. All the mobile phone kiosks around here use non-functioning dummy models, which are all but useless.
I again point to what I said in my original post: these are all my personal observations, that's all.

Every single gripe you listed is more user related, than phone related.
Some yes, some no.

(Look up what A2DP is and an app called BeyondPod. Will solve half your gripes.)
I know what A2DP is, and I've been using BeyondPod since the beginning. It works well, but the problem was that I already had Rocket Player installed, and RP insisted on taking over playing music after a call. Since I uninstalled RP, my Bluetooth podcast playing has been working well.

I switched to Android this year, after using nothing but iPhones since the first Motorola Razr flip-phone, which was my phone prior to the first iPhone. I did a lot of research before and after my purchase before asking questions like "What is rooting?" People that complain about a product without actually knowing anything about the product are posting because they want to start a flame war.
I've heard about rooting, but to be honest I only looked into it superficially because I had no intention of rooting, at least not for a while. However now that I'm digging deeper into it, it seems like a worthwhile endeavor.

And I did love your bloatware comment. A simple Google search could have told you to go into App Manager and click "disable". Done.
On iOS, you get all that crap bloatware, like Newstand, and there is nothing you can do about it, unless you want to jailbreak and if you have a phone on iOS6, you can't even do that.
I've done that. Since my original post I've learned about disabling things. My main gripe, to be honest, is the fact that the bloat came with the phone in the first place. I realize most phones are like this, due to the manufacturer throwing their own shit on there, and probably the only way to avoid the bloat is to get a pure Google phone.

So, do a little research. Learn the basics like "rooting", "flashing", what a "ROM" is, knowing what Google Now is and so on.
I already have. None of what I complained about is due to any of those things.

You will look less like a troll trying to start a flame war. And I would have told you to go to the XDA forum to look up info about ROMs, but if a simple Google search is to difficult for you, the XDA forums will be way too complicated for you and you should stay away from rooting and custom ROMs and/or kernels.

Ouch. That's pretty harsh.
Again I say I'm not trying to start a flamewar. I didn't start this thread saying "OMG IPHONE > ANDROID!!!!11 GOOGLE SUX LOLOL". I only stated my *personal* observations so far. Am I not allowed to have an opinion on anything without getting scolded by some uptight person who immediately gets all defensive?

To be fair, you do make some valid points. Yes, I should have researched more. No, I can't expect it to behave exactly as my previous phone did. However, I don't think it's unfair for me to come onto these forums, state my opinions, and get some constructive feedback from some other users without getting spanked.

Upvote 0
Again I say I'm not trying to start a flamewar. I didn't start this thread saying "OMG IPHONE > ANDROID!!!!11 GOOGLE SUX LOLOL". I only stated my *personal* observations so far. Am I not allowed to have an opinion on anything without getting scolded by some uptight person who immediately gets all defensive?

To be fair, you do make some valid points. Yes, I should have researched more. No, I can't expect it to behave exactly as my previous phone did. However, I don't think it's unfair for me to come onto these forums, state my opinions, and get some constructive feedback from some other users without getting spanked.

When you start a thread, based on little experience with a product, little research on the product, and give opinions slandering that product with incorrect or bad information, you look like a troll. I am not calling you a troll, just saying it looks like trolling. Commenting on a thread with opinion is one thing, starting a thread is another.

Upvote 0
This thread is in serious danger of turning into a flame war. We don't do flame wars here.

Every member, regardless of age, location or skill level, can post about their Android experiences here. It is up to other members to decide how to best HELP that member get the most out of their device, or not.

However, choosing not to help a member does not obligate anyone to berate them for their experience, background or anything else for that matter. The OP in this thread is making comments based on observations made from THAT point of view. Take it or leave it.

But there is NO reason to start throwing derogatory names around because a member doesn't like a device as much as another. That's not tolerated: we can discuss issues and processes, but we never attack people.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. If you have any questions about site policy or guidelines, my door is always open :)

Reactions: jackroo
Upvote 0
Interesting. I've heard of Tasker; this just looks like the same. Not sure it's worth the price tag though.

Sounds interesting, I'll check it out.

Looks like it's $4.99 CAD.

You could try Llama, which is a similar profiling app but is FREE and apparently very user friendly:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kebab.Llama&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5rZWJhYi5MbGFtYSJd

Actually it's a limitation of WhatsApp. But I liked that iOS had a stock video trimmer. I found some free trimmers, but still no free resizers. Which really sucks, because now if I want to send a video to someone, I'm going to have to record in a much lower resolution so it can be trimmed down enough to send over WA.

I haven't used it, but this app Video Converter looks like it will resize video files, so you won't have to trim them to keep within the file size limit:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=roman10.media.converter&feature=search_result

I just want to say that I didn't think for one moment that you were stoking any flames. To my mind your comments have exhibited sincerity, reason, and gratitude, so welcome to the forum :)

Upvote 0
I just wanted to jump in here and say that I absolutely love my S3! No issues so far after 4.5 months. I'm a power user and I applaud Samsung on their work on the S3. They did a great job with TouchWiz and the overall feel of the device. We look at these devices and think everything done was obvious or they should have done this or that. In actuality, everything on these devices are researched over and over. Our phones have become a very very very personal device that are integrated into many aspects of our lives. Even the feel, the curve and the weight are researched in depth and are criticized by many but raved about many others. We nitpick about the smallest of things but hey, these devices are an integral part of many aspects of our lives.

Overall, I see the S3 as one of the, if not the best, devices on the market today. Personally, I love the plastic aspect of it. I like how it warms to you hand quickly, the curve of the glass on the corners and along the sides and the overall size of the phone. As for function of the OS, this thing exceeds any other device on the market. Other Androids either come close or are the same. However, Samsung has done a great job at bringing everything together. Yes, Apple has a great ecosystem where everything works well together. But with that comes many limitations. Advantages and disadvantages. Samsung has done a great job at creating a well rounded device while still working within the Google ecosystem that is very open. And with that openness comes many many advantages. Advantages that we all appreciate and want. We like freedom and control over our devices. Google has done that all while continuing to create an increasingly smooth OS.
No, these devices do NOT work the same as Apple products. But on that same note: No, Apple devices do NOT work the same as these devices. They both achieve the same basic function but in different ecosystems.

Samsung has tried to set themselves apart from other manufacturers by offering new innovative features. I give Samsung props for that. I also like the new Muse music player they have. If you like freedom over your music and like having a very small MP3 player for working out, check it out. Samsung has taken the computer out of the equation.

I have continued to customize my phone. It's fun finding new features, settings and apps that make the phone more useful or makes the phone more useful for your life or situation. I still enjoy picking up my phone and playing with it, using it, customizing it and finding new ways to integrate it into my life.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to add that this is one of the top 2 android phones out there meaning it's one of the more complex.

I always feel that people coming from Iphone or Blackberry should start out with a much cheaper Android. They are much more user friendly, they tend not to have soo many issues, not as many options (which is less things to go wrong) etc.

These Top Androids should be left for people who have been using Androids for many years. There's such a large variety of different Androids, and heading right to the most complex may not be a good idea for some people.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to add that this is one of the top 2 android phones out there meaning it's one of the more complex.

I always feel that people coming from Iphone or Blackberry should start out with a much cheaper Android. They are much more user friendly, they tend not to have soo many issues, not as many options (which is less things to go wrong) etc.

These Top Androids should be left for people who have been using Androids for many years. There's such a large variety of different Androids, and heading right to the most complex may not be a good idea for some people.

I respectfully disagree. I believe that anyone who has been using a high end premium smartphone like an iPhone would never move to a cheap low end device like you are suggesting, and you couldn't expect them to.

It is only because of the latest high end android devices such as the One X and the S3 that people are finally moving away from Apple smartphones. So to expect them not to change to one of these high end android devices is unrealistic.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones