• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Iphone 4 vs Android Options in Canada

Presco33

Lurker
Oct 2, 2010
What's up everyone. I have a little dilemma on my hands. I'm a current and happy Android owner (HTC Magic with the new 2.1 on Rogers). However, the Magic is not what it once was.

On Friday I ordered the new Iphone 4 for my wife through Rogers. She currently uses the Razr2. Basically spousal abuse on my part and it's time I made amends. She needs a new Ipod anyways and is super excited about an all in one device.

When I inquired about the availability of a 2nd Iphone for myself, I found they could upgrade for me as well for the same price. So I ordered. The two phones will arrive next week sometime.

I have an Ipod Touch and use it everyday for podcasts, music, wifi browsing at home etc. I'm trying to decide whether to consolidate my experience to one Apple device or sell my Iphone and get a new Android device. I just wish Rogers (and Canada in general) had better Android options.

What would you do in my situation?

Keep Iphone (Likely no, since this is an Android community - I'm happy enough with the interface and my media library is already in Itunes)?

Sell Iphone (and Magic) and replace with something else? The new Samsung looks OK but it's almost too big for my liking. I'm leaning toward a nexus one but I doubt I'll find a new one. Any other (unlocked) Android phone you'd recommend? With the profits from two phones, money won't really be an issue.

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

Personally I commend you on switching... I am not feeling the htc magic (even with 2.1) that much anymore for a number of reasons:

1. Im getting tired of not having a regular headphone jack.. I listen to a lot of music
2. I find android 2.1 choppy compared to the 1.5 with sense ui. When i type text there is a lot of delay between letters, scrolling, etc.
3. youtube on 2.1 is slow as hell
4. the battery seems to drain really fast with the update. I'll start listening to music at ~8 am, by about 10 im almost at 50% and need to recharge.

I'm not a picky person either, I don't care for all the latest gadgets and having the most up to date phone. I just want something simple that does the job and does it well.

back on topic, i'd give the iphone4 a try (that reverse camera option seems cool if you use skype). btw did you have to renew your contract for 3 years when you upgraded? just curious.. let us know how the iphone works for you

Upvote 0
Personally I commend you on switching... I am not feeling the htc magic (even with 2.1) that much anymore for a number of reasons ...

I'm sorry to offend any Android purists...but I feel much the same as porky1981. The battery on my Magic no longer lasts a full day - I used to get 2 days of soft use. But the whole update business has been the real dealbreaker. I made the decision, despite being a long time Mac user, to go with Android because I didn't like the iPhone hype and I am a big fan of Google, generally. I've tried to stay positive about Android, but there are too many players with google, HTC and Rogers all, apparently, getting in the way of regular updates. And now, we are told, there will be no more updates for the Magic. If I had more time I might go back to rooting etc...but, I don't.

In your position, Presco, I would try the iPhone and see.

Upvote 0
Bell will be getting the Motorola Atrix (dual core Tegra 2 processor with 1900mAh battery)
Telus just got the Desire HD (heard a lot of great reviews for this one)
Rogers will be getting the Xperia Play and Xperia Arc (comes with 2.3)
The Nexus S will be coming to Canada soon.

I like the iPhone4, it's pretty and great for gaming but for me, it's kind of boring and lackluster in that I can't customize it much. I don't consider rearaging the shortcuts, changing the wallpaper and having folders customizing. You should play with the iPhone4 and really see if you like it. I think Rogers really FUDGE up the Android experience for everyone :( It's really sad that one bad phone experience tarnish the Android name for most people.

Upvote 0
Bell will be getting the Motorola Atrix (dual core Tegra 2 processor with 1900mAh battery)
Telus just got the Desire HD (heard a lot of great reviews for this one)
Rogers will be getting the Xperia Play and Xperia Arc (comes with 2.3)
The Nexus S will be coming to Canada soon.

I like the iPhone4, it's pretty and great for gaming but for me, it's kind of boring and lackluster in that I can't customize it much. I don't consider rearaging the shortcuts, changing the wallpaper and having folders customizing. You should play with the iPhone4 and really see if you like it. I think Rogers really FUDGE up the Android experience for everyone :( It's really sad that one bad phone experience tarnish the Android name for most people.

Just for people who don't know what a dual core is or Tegra 2 processor, I'm not gonna go into any detail about it, but just know that because of those things, the iPhone doesn't even come close to how powerful the Atrix is. It's not even a matter of preference at that point, the Atrix is just FAR more powerful that if you bought the iPhone 4, you'd be ripping yourself off BIG TIME.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones