• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there an app to silence the phone except from calls?

darkcyber

Android Expert
Nov 12, 2009
North Alabama
I have a Note 3 running Jasmine 2.4.4 and wondered is there anyway or any app that can be used to silence the phone except for phone calls? i.e. like at night, I would like to put my phone in my bedroom in case family needed to call during the night, but I get so many beeps and stuff from Facebook, texts, emails...etc. that there is no way I can do that without silencing the whole phone and that defeats the purpose.

I have the same desire on my LG G3 phone. Last night I used the pull-down to reduce the volume (I thought) but still had loud notifications. Upon looking at things this morning I determined that the basic pull down volume control is strictly for the phone, not the notifications. There is a separate slider for the notifications. I'll try that tonight to see if the bedroom is quieter. Will just have to remember to turn it back up for my medicine & appt reminders during the day.

Upvote 0
It's probably way overkill, but I've used a profile similar to this one in Tasker which accomplishes what you're after. That may not be an ideal solution for you if your not someone who will take full advantage of the power of Tasker, though. (That said, we do have a dedicated Tasker subforum if you want to learn more about it!)

I'm not sure how Samsung products handle it, but I know that stock Android does differentiate between the Ringer volume and the Notification volume. You might be able to go into Settings > Sound to silence the Notification volume while leaving the Ringer at an audible level.

What's more, Android 5.0 (once/if you get it - sorry, I haven't really been keeping up with Samsung's roll-out plans) includes an option to silence all notifications except for calls (optionally only those from certain contacts). :thumbsupdroid:

Reactions: electricpete
Upvote 0
I'm not sure what Jasmine 2.4.4 is. For a Note 3 which I assume is from Samsung, you should be able to go into the sound settings and change the volume for different types of sound. I have a Galaxy S3 and in my sound settings, I can control the volume separately for ringtone, media, notification and system.

If you want an easier way to adjust all of the volume levels, I would recommend Volume Widget: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.leepstudios.VolumeWidget&hl=en-GB

This app is a widget that you can set up to 3 different volume profiles. You can set one where your phone is silent except for your ringtone and another for your normal setting. Just tap once on the widget to select which profile to set.

Upvote 0
These are the two that I use.

1) Timeriffic - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alfray.timeriffic&hl=en

You can set up different profiles for different days of the week and times.

2) Volume Control - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.revsodev.volumecontrol&hl=en

You can set up to three quick profile settings. This app doesn't run on a schedule. You select the pre-settings, give those settings a name and select that profile when you want it activated.

I use both apps. and they work really well.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones