• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is Tipping Getting Out Of Control?

I often go into places and see that their tip jar is empty. I learned long ago that, from a psychology perspective, you NEVER start a tip jar empty!

People are largely followers - that is, there's a subliminal hesitation to being first. By starting the tip jar with two or three dollar bills in it, maybe some quarters, I found that tips would increase by 400% or more. Just leave the starter money in there for the next day.

After telling clerks that, I often returned several days later to be thanked profusely because they were hauling in much more in tips. I'm just happy to pay it forward, but I received incredible service after that!

:)

Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0
Maid Tipping. I'll tip a maid if I'm staying for more that one night and she gives me extra cups or coffee...etc...

ballysmaid.jpg

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
If I stay one or two nights and the maid (excuse me, "housekeeping staff") doesn't even come in the room because I keep the"do not disturb" sign on the door, then don't expect me to pay for a service I didn't receive. If she changes sheets & towels out, brings more coffee and takes the trash to make the rest of my stay comfortable, then sure. I'll toss her a bill or two.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
Stopped at a major truck stop for gas. Picked up a few snacks to eat. When the cashier rang up my snacks, the cashier asked if I wanted to leave my change as a tip. I said NO in a bit of an angry tone. Then she said, Oh I was just kidding. I doubt it. I think she does it quite a bit and gets a few tips

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ordered a grocery delivery. The grocery store charges $5.95 for delivery, but they also add a delivery driver tip of $5.48. So does the driver just get $5.48 or does he also get the $5.95

View attachment 167511
The delivery fee usually goes to the store, but I'm fine with that because they have to have someone shop the order for you.

Reactions: Hadron and AugieTN
Upvote 0

Unbelievable
You see, I'd prefer they did the honest thing and raised the prices.

But then I'd say the same about staff pay: I'd rather they paid them a livable wage and included that in the price than kept the price on the menu artificially low but effectively obliged customers to pay 20% above what it says. To my mind that's also a dishonest business practice, and it being the norm in the US just means that dishonesty is normalised.

Upvote 0
One thing they were griping about was 5-10 minutes early is on time and getting paid for that time. I was raised that being to work at 9 meant I was prepared to work at nine. I wasn't walking in the door, hanging up my coat. I showed up early enough so when it was time to work, I was ready to work. Now I've been a salaried employee since I was 20, but I still keep to this and teach my kids the same. Even with my son's baseball practices, be ready to "practice" at 5PM, which means show up 4:30-4:45, get all your stretching and warmups in.

Upvote 0
One thing they were griping about was 5-10 minutes early is on time and getting paid for that time. I was raised that being to work at 9 meant I was prepared to work at nine. I wasn't walking in the door, hanging up my coat. I showed up early enough so when it was time to work, I was ready to work. Now I've been a salaried employee since I was 20, but I still keep to this and teach my kids the same. Even with my son's baseball practices, be ready to "practice" at 5PM, which means show up 4:30-4:45, get all your stretching and warmups in.

Same here. I never want to be late for being early.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
I will say this about showing up to work early. I subcontracted some cabinet work for a company that did fire and flood restoration. They required their employees to come in fifteen minutes before they were on the clock for a brief safety meeting and an itinerary of what was expected of their employees that day. A disgruntled employee turned them into the the Wage and Hour officials and the company was forced to pay all of the back wages due each employee. I see the merit in the litigation.

As I said, I was self employed. If I wasn't working, I wasn't making any money. The earlier I started working and the longer I worked, the more money I made that day. Also the faster and harder I worked was more money. It creates a great work ethic for the poor. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones