• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is Tipping Getting Out Of Control?

There has been a lot of similar cases in the Chicago area. Most businesses are smart enough to not say the meetings is mandatory, but if you don't attend, you are not a team player, and will probably get your hours cut.

I remember a retailer was having inventory, They were paying their employees, but asked for their spouses to come in and help and they will get free pizza

I also remember a school asked parents to help install cat 5 wiring in the school.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
I will say this about showing up to work early. I subcontracted some cabinet work for a company that did fire and flood restoration. They required their employees to come in fifteen minutes before they were on the clock for a brief safety meeting and an itinerary of what was expected of their employees that day. A disgruntled employee turned them into the the Wage and Hour officials and the company was forced to pay all of the back wages due each employee. I see the merit in the litigation.

As I said, I was self employed. If I wasn't working, I wasn't making any money. The earlier I started working and the longer I worked, the more money I made that day. Also the faster and harder I worked was more money. It creates a great work ethic for the poor. :)

Yep. You can't require anyone to there without paying them for it. All the prep time, turning the machines on, etc, that's supposed to be on the employers dime. Stopping for morning coffee before you hit your desk? That's on their time, not the employers.

I say this as an employer myself.

Reactions: olbriar and AugieTN
Upvote 0
There has been a lot of similar cases in the Chicago area. Most businesses are smart enough to not say the meetings is mandatory, but if you don't attend, you are not a team player, and will probably get your hours cut.

I remember a retailer was having inventory, They were paying their employees, but asked for their spouses to come in and help and they will get free pizza

I also remember a school asked parents to help install cat 5 wiring in the school.

???? Lol wut

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
My kroger has 6 self check out lanes and they usually move quickly, yesterday there was a guy with a full basket of goods @ one station, an elderly lady fighting the cost of bananas @ one, an angry quite vocal elderly man @ one, ....

As long as I have been shopping there I have never seen more than 2 of the 6 normal lanes open !

facepalm1

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Shuttle Bus in Nashville

View attachment 167964

I've seen similar notices for gratuities on shuttle buses, tour buses and coaches in the UK. Which I think fair enough, If I'm happy with the driver and/or host has done a good job, I'll put something in their tip jar.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Showing sufficient cleavage will result in more tips coming her way... well, more money in the tip jar, I should say...

BTW NEVER EVER start a tip jar empty! People are, by and large, followers: if the jar is empty, they don't want to be first. If you start your tip jar with a $5 bill and three $1 bills, you will triple your tips on a shift. I promise.

Upvote 0

I wonder if these machines will want a tip.

In the UK many supermarkets are self checkout now, except for tobacco products, but they still need to have an employee attending them, for authorising the sale of age restricted items, or if a customer has difficulty. In China some larger supermarkets may have a few self checkout machines, but it's still mostly traditional cashier service.

I've never considered gratuities in any retail store, and certainly not supermarkets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My ID was scanned the first but only the first time I purchased alcohol in their store. That information must be retained in their system. I always use my shopping card so my purchases are associated with my personal info. I was flabbergasted being asked for my ID... a senior citizen and all. The ID requirement was either a change in state law or a requirement from kroger to protect their employees. I can't imagine my drinking information being of importance to kroger. Their shopping discount card is already tracking my shopping habits.

I'm with Mike... I've never considered tipping in a retail store and certain I won't in the future.

Upvote 0
Oddly, the city I just moved from, the kroger there never ID'd me for alcohol products, this one (different city) makes me show my ID everytime, they scan my dl ... wonder what they are doing with that information ?

I've never been ID'd for buying alcohol products, but then I am 60. :) But of course a self checkout machine doesn't know that.

In the UK if I scan and self checkout beer at Tesco or Sainsbury's, the machine flags "ATTENTION REQUIRED", the assistant has to come over, enters a PIN on the machine, and then the sale goes through.

In China I did a self checkout of large bottle of baijiu(Beijing Erguotou 56% alcohol) it just went straight through, no age ID checks at all. Here there are no age restrictions on the sale of alcohol or cigarettes. :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0
The self checkout lines @ Kroger flag you for alcohol as well, and an attendant must come over and check your id and put in a unlock code to proceed with the purchase.

ob I also have and use my Kroger discount card and would like to think it should remember me and my info, course anyone can use it so that may be why they check everytime.

miket, I will be 68 in a couple of months and look everybit of it, not a case where my age is questionable, just showing my dl is not sufficient, it must be scanned !

I know .... Big Brother paranoia ...

laughinghard

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I can't think of a reason a person's alcohol consumption would be tracked. I know that the kroger card is designed to track and target ad the consumers. The trade off is the discount it provides. At least using the card is an option and not a requirement. Forced to have your DL scanned to buy alcohol once offended me but I complied. I've never been asked again. Either the cashier overrides the requirement or their system has my info and I'm given a pass.

The wife and I dined out at our favorite steak house last night. As always, I paid in cash. The food and service was top notch so I left a generous tip. I just don't trust using a card at an eatery. I want the tip to go into the hand that went the distance to make my dining experience stellar and not dispersed equally among the server staff or touched by the establishment.

Reactions: AugieTN and mikedt
Upvote 0
I can't think of a reason a person's alcohol consumption would be tracked. I know that the kroger card is designed to track and target ad the consumers. The trade off is the discount it provides. At least using the card is an option and not a requirement. Forced to have your DL scanned to buy alcohol once offended me but I complied. I've never been asked again. Either the cashier overrides the requirement or their system has my info and I'm given a pass.

The wife and I dined out at our favorite steak house last night. As always, I paid in cash. The food and service was top notch so I left a generous tip. I just don't trust using a card at an eatery. I want the tip to go into the hand that went the distance to make my dining experience stellar and not dispersed equally among the server staff or touched by the establishment.
I'm with you.

On the rare occasions, usually birthdays, that we eat somewhere that has a wait staff I pay with a card but leave a nice cash tip for 2 reasons. It goes into the servers hand and they can claim whatever amount of it they choose. They make so little guaranteed money ($2.17 an hour) that I have no problem with them being creative with their accounting.

Upvote 0
Met a friend who is on the road for work staying at a Holiday Inn. The woman who puts the free breakfast out has a Tip Jar
That wouldn't bother me, she probably doesn't make a great hourly wage.

It's the jobs that ask for a tip for basically handing me a bag that annoy me.

I tip at the mom and pop Chinese restaurant I frequent even though I order online, it is a family owned business and the owner works her ass off. I want to keep it in business as it's the only one within driving distance that I like. During the early days of Covid I left a generous tip to show appreciation. I also left generous tips at the previous mom and pop Chinese restaurant I visited before I moved and they retired.

Upvote 0
I recently received a delivery from both Walmart and Best Buy. I don't recall which, but I noticed after I paid online that a delivery tip was added to my bill at checkout. Perhaps it was my fault for not unticking a tip to the driver. I certainly would have removed a tip and I certainly didn't add a tip.
It was too late to back out of the purchase. Total BS

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones