• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Ive got Fastboot... now what?

knoober

Android Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2014
Hello all. Ive broken my phone again. Ive been using rooted/slim stock rom for a while now and decided Id like a change. I was doing a little house cleaning before installing a new rom (id picked out PA, but that is besides the point) and recieved a message that I had the wrong version bootloader when I tried to sideload it. No biggie right? Wrong. Im stuck at the Motorola screen. I get the green circle with an M in it that starts the boot animation, but then it hangs.

Ive got fastboot and have tried to get back into the recovery from there and havent had any luck with <fastboot reboot recovery> and <fastboot reboot-bootloader> tells me that the bootloader is directing to fastboot.

here's my info:
AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)
41.13(*) (sha-7dc8e78, 2014-16-16 16:33:29)
CPU: MSM8626 CS
emmC: 8GB Toshiba RV-06 PV-51 TY-17
DRAM: 1024MB Elipeda S4 SDRAM DIE-4Gb
Battery OK
Device is UNLOCKED. Status Code: 3

Im going to be combing the WWW to see what I can find, but I hope there might be a little love here :) Thanks in Advance

Edit: And I know I should have checked but my nandroid is gone also. Lost in the Great Format of All USB Sticks of A Few Months Ago

Edit More: I reflashed the PhilZ Touch recovery that I had been using and can get to the recovery now. All of the stock images I can find are not working though.

<failed to write 'protocol fault (status len) ' *>

Last edited:
So I got in touch with Textnow and they sent me a zip that had all the stock images. It was meant to work in Windows but my windows box is being a dummy and wouldn't see my device (problem for a different day) so I had to move it over to my linux box and extract all the stock images from the zip. 1x boot.img 1x system.img 1x recovery.img and a little <fastboot flash Filename.img> and I now have a working XT1031 again.

If I could host the zip locally I would but.... when I get dropbox setup I will throw the zip up here for anyone else who might be having the same issue.

End of story is : ALL FIXED!

Edit: Next stop Nandroid. And safer storage :)

Upvote 0
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash userdata. userdata.img

now also reinstall your new recovery

fastboot flash recovery *recoveryfilename*.img

( i also keep fastboot imgs for this in the basketbuilds. Thank you to SuperR for providing them https://basketbuild.com/devs/Seraph08/falcon/Recovery built by SuperR/fastboot imgs)

reboot to your recovery

flash gapps then supersu

done.​

Reactions: knoober
Upvote 0
Oh man am I glad you stopped in. I tried the fastboot options that you had listed (obviously I did something wrong but I can't see what) and didn't get anywhere. I ran I to errors when I used anything but what I got from the carrier.

I'd really love to try PA and some of the others that you've got up. Here are the issues that I ran into (from memory)

1) even though I had the zips on the device (they were still there after all the troubles in fact) I couldn't see them in recovery

2) I moved to Sideload when I couldn't see the zips, but got an error about using the wrong bootloader version.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here? I'm a little savvy but not immune to beginner mistakes, so I'd sure appreciate any pointers.

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
there should no be any zips put onto this phone. the zip should be extracted from the img files.

download adb
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347803384

here you go

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

now while still in fastboot you'll need to install a recovery, I recommend SuperR's Philz it works very well
https://basketbuild.com/filedl/devs...perR/fastboot imgs/PhilZ-Touch-6.59.0-LPK.img

7.png

8.png

you are done.​

Reactions: knoober
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones