• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ROMs [kernel] Need basic directions on where to start

HasH_BrowN

Android Expert
Jun 11, 2015
Leesburg, Fl
I am trying to get more involved with the developing side of Android. There is some things that are lacking on a few of my devices. One for example is the kernel. I know its a lot of work, but I would like to develop kernels for a few devices that I have. I have searched. What I found was very advanced, far beyond the prerequisites. Which is not what I need. I just need basic directions to get started the right way.

• How do I start?
  • What software do I need on the PC?
  • Linux or Windows?
  • How do I determine which toolchain to use?
  • What is the best way to compile? (Not how to)
  • And anything else that might be helpful.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. As always, credit will be duly noted (in future created thread and any documentation).

I am trying to get more involved with the developing side of Android. There is some things that are lacking on a few of my devices. One for example is the kernel. I know its a lot of work, but I would like to develop kernels for a few devices that I have. I have searched. What I found was very advanced, far beyond the prerequisites. Which is not what I need. I just need basic directions to get started the right way.

• How do I start?
  • What software do I need on the PC?
  • Linux or Windows?
  • How do I determine which toolchain to use?
  • What is the best way to compile? (Not how to)
  • And anything else that might be helpful.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. As always, credit will be duly noted (in future created thread and any documentation).

Well.i found this online try it out

http://softwarebakery.com/building-the-android-kernel-on-linux

Reactions: HasH_BrowN
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones