• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Anyone else root their phones with it?

It's what I ended up doing in order to achieve root. Installed TWRP after that, and nuked the stock ROM. Now running one of the AICP Marshmallow nightlies on my S3. Feels like a brand new device! Definitely won't go back to stock.

All this might compel me to change prepaid providers, one that'll let me run both my VM LG G Stylo and the S3 on Sprint... otherwise the S3 runs way better than before. Of course I can't run super fast games on it, but it's a much smoother trip with AICP.

I rooted it with the Android APK. It just works. Easiest root ever, and yes it disables Knox, which I'm OK with. The phone is old anyway, so that doesn't bother me much.

kingroot.net

You're better off best using Odin to flash TWRP and then root. Kingroot is impossible to remove from the stock rom if you're just looking to achieve root access and want to use something like SuperSU as your root manager. It also talks to Chinese servers. Some consider it spyware. Since you're running AICP now I guess that doesn't matter for you but typically using Kingroot isn't advisable. Just Google kingroot spyware and you'll have plenty to read.

The S3, especially the Sprint version, is one of the easiest phones to root as long as you have access to a PC. Copy SuperSU to SD card. Boot into download mode, flash TWRP with Odin. Pull battery before the phone reboots. Boot into TWRP. Flash SuperSU. Profit! And no Chinese spyware.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. :)

I was looking to get out of the stock firmware, as I wanted a great way to run the phone without the bloat. I managed the entire process with kingroot, then twrp + aicp in less than thirty minutes. I do have the firmware file for stock KitKat and Odin, if I ever need it, especially if I change carriers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones