• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lack of Amoled screens.....

damewolf13

live~laugh~love
May 14, 2010
AZ
Did you see that Bell wireless is discontinuing their HTC Legend phones because of screen shortages. They are not taking any more orders for Legends'. Hmmmm.... makes me wonder how long before our incredible Incredibles' follow. We could soon all be owners of a very rare breed though! Might increase re-sale value.

Telus has also gotten the Desire with the LCD replacing AMOLED. HTC is slowly replacing AMOLED screens with S-LCD where they can, and the Telys Desire was the first that I'm aware of.

The Incredible is supposed to be one of the phones getting more AMOLED screens due to the allocation of S-LCD elsewhere. But, time will tell.
is S-LCD better than AMOLED in the bright light?

Upvote 0
In all honesty, I can't say because I haven't see one. I can speculate though. The S-LCD should;

-not be over saturated
-not use a pentile matrix array
-likely be a true 24-bit display
-offer better visibility in daylight (my Incredible is fine on max brightness though)

However, they're claiming that S-LCD is excellent at battery usage as well, and whenever I hear that in an LCD, it usually means grossly under saturated colors. I'm reserving judgment until I see one.

Upvote 0
Incredible's seems to already be fading out. As soon as Verizon's butt-buddy Motorola launched the X/Droid 2, Verizon didn't even have Incredibles on display anymore. Between the Launch of the X/Droid 2 and the AMOLED shortage, the Incredible will probably meet an end of production very shortly. As someone else said though, owning an Incredible is certainly cool because they are pretty damn rare. Verizon WAY undershot the amount of Incredibles they would need, and while demand is very high, the amount of supply going out is very low (and most people at this point are switching their order over to the X or Droid 2 anyway). I'd say when it's all said and done, Incredibles will definitely be a very rare phone to have (I for one, have never even seen another Incredible out in public); people ogle and ask about my phone like mad when they see it.

And as for the difference between AMOLED and SLCD? It's like the difference between Plasma and LCD in that typical ignorant consumer "A" goes into a store and sees the LCD next to the plasma, notices the LCD is substantially brighter, and therefore concludes it is a superior product. Now, anybody who knows anything about picture quality knows Plasma absolutely blows LCD (and even most LED-LCD's) out of the water once you get them home and calibrated. The simple matter is, most people don't even know what a good quality screen is SUPPOSED to look like, let alone be able to ever recognize one. Hell, many consumers are so ignorant and uninformed they can't even tell the difference between SD and HD.

There is a substantial difference between AMOLED and SLCD; and I'm not just saying that because I have an Incredible. My dad has the X (TFT-LCD, but comparable to SLCD), and the image on my Incredible is so much more natural, colorful, smoother, and appeasing to the eye (not to mention those epic black levels). The X has a brighter screen and handles sunlight a bit better yes; but as far as actual natural picture quality goes? It's not even a question. I have personally never seen an SLCD, but I know it was designed mainly to be as pretty as TFT-LCD just with less power consumption; it wasn't designed to outdo AMOLED, which is considered the near future for HDTV's because it is just so damn pretty.

AMOLED is still a superior technology to SLCD (which comes with every inherent drawback of LCD, extra "S" at the front or not); and I am having a hard time fathoming all of these people saying the difference is minimal or non-existent. If production of the Incredible ever did switch to SLCD, it better also mean a switch to a lower price.

Only problem I can see is in the near future, replacement Incredibles if one breaks may be non-existent.

Upvote 0
Incredible's seems to already be fading out. As soon as Verizon's butt-buddy Motorola launched the X/Droid 2, Verizon didn't even have Incredibles on display anymore. Between the Launch of the X/Droid 2 and the AMOLED shortage, the Incredible will probably meet an end of production very shortly. As someone else said though, owning an Incredible is certainly cool because they are pretty damn rare. Verizon WAY undershot the amount of Incredibles they would need, and while demand is very high, the amount of supply going out is very low (and most people at this point are switching their order over to the X or Droid 2 anyway). I'd say when it's all said and done, Incredibles will definitely be a very rare phone to have (I for one, have never even seen another Incredible out in public); people ogle and ask about my phone like mad when they see it.

And as for the difference between AMOLED and SLCD? It's like the difference between Plasma and LCD in that typical ignorant consumer "A" goes into a store and sees the LCD next to the plasma, notices the LCD is substantially brighter, and therefore concludes it is a superior product. Now, anybody who knows anything about picture quality knows Plasma absolutely blows LCD (and even most LED-LCD's) out of the water once you get them home and calibrated. The simple matter is, most people don't even know what a good quality screen is SUPPOSED to look like, let alone be able to ever recognize one. Hell, many consumers are so ignorant and uninformed they can't even tell the difference between SD and HD.

There is a substantial difference between AMOLED and SLCD; and I'm not just saying that because I have an Incredible. My dad has the X (TFT-LCD, but comparable to SLCD), and the image on my Incredible is so much more natural, colorful, smoother, and appeasing to the eye (not to mention those epic black levels). The X has a brighter screen and handles sunlight a bit better yes; but as far as actual natural picture quality goes? It's not even a question. I have personally never seen an SLCD, but I know it was designed mainly to be as pretty as TFT-LCD just with less power consumption; it wasn't designed to outdo AMOLED, which is considered the near future for HDTV's because it is just so damn pretty.

AMOLED is still a superior technology to SLCD (which comes with every inherent drawback of LCD, extra "S" at the front or not); and I am having a hard time fathoming all of these people saying the difference is minimal or non-existent. If production of the Incredible ever did switch to SLCD, it better also mean a switch to a lower price.

Only problem I can see is in the near future, replacement Incredibles if one breaks may be non-existent.

For the most part, you're right. I feel that AMOLED and Super AMOLED are the future of displays since it takes efficiency to a new level while producing great colors and unbeatable blacks. But, the technology just isn't there yet. At least not with regular AMOLED. We're already seeing Incs with some burn out of the blue LEDs, so longevity is an issue. If they ditch the pentile matrix it would look a lot more crisp, and it really needs to have a greater bit depth.

Other than those few points, I agree. AMOLED is the future and as it evolves it will be the next big wave for HD TVs. Also, the flexibility of OLED displays in general means that you could have a TV screen that you unroll like a scroll onto a table and suddenly there is your display. There are so many things that OLED based designs can do that will take it much farther than LCD ever could've.

Upvote 0

You are pretty far off. In the TV world the reason Plasma is superior to LCD is because it produces NATURAL colors and tones where as LCD and LED-LCD produce oversaturated almost cartoon like colors. In the case of Smartphones TFT LCD is the plasma and AMOLED is the LCD. The colors on the Incredible are 37% or more OVERsaturated. The colors on the Droid X are 6% UNDERsaturated making it a far more accurate display than the Incredible. The only thing the Incredible screen has over TFT-LCD is black levels but with such oversaturated colors its a moot point. So your Incredible is no where near as accurate as the Droid X. The Incredible also uses pentile matrix so its no where near as smooth as the Droid X. So really you fell for the Incredible screen the same way the typical ignorant consumer falls for LCD TV's.

See this article from PCmag Is The iPhone 4's LCD the Best? | PCMag.com

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones