• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help LG G3 stops recognizing sim card.

madmax988

Aug 26, 2012
Any help would be greatly appreciated, this issue is quite obnoxious. I'm hoping this is the right forum and not the G3 forum.

My Verizon LG G3 was running 5.0.1 lollipop just fine until last wednesday.

I was sitting reading a phandroid article at my desk, when a message popped up saying sim card not recognized. I tried restarting, removing battery, and finally removing sim. Sometimes after restarting it would get a greyed out 3g signal and allow phone calls but no data and say entering global mode. I got on the phone with verizon and by the time they answered after pulling sim and doing a couple restarts it had started working again. It worked for a few restarts and a battery pull, but then stopped working about an hour later. I went to verizon store got a new sim card, and it worked phone. I switched it off global because they told me that wastes battery (is this bullshit or true?) it worked for a couple of days, then died again. Then it started working again the next day or 2, and it automatically forced the 5.1.1 update while in my pocket. It worked for a few hours after that then lost sim again. The next day it worked again. Now I can't get it working again.

I should also mention this might just be coincidental, but everytime it stopped working was within 10 minutes of me swapping in a fresh battery. Both of my batteries are official LG batteries, and I charge them with the official

TL:DR
my phone keeps not recognizing my sim and is now running 5.1.1.
Any ideas for what my next step should be?

• Should I replace sim a 2nd time?
  • Should I do a factory reset, is there any chance that would fix this? (I haven't done one since I got my phone and used the image from my first G3. So my phone has done 3 updates without a FDR. But i'd really also hate to lose my progress on some games unless I absolutely had to.
  • Should I have verizon send it to LG for repairs (takes like 2 weeks) (I think it's still in warranty since I got the phone 12/16/2014) But that was after returning my first G3 i got in september i'm not sure when they start their warranty period
  • Should I replace it through my asurion insurance?
  • Other ideas?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones