• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG Optimus Comes to AT&T - What a Joke

greg4android

Android Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2011
Middle Tennessee
LG's Optimus series moves to AT&T in a Go-Phone.

Their plans and data plans are a joke, which should make everyone that has an Optimus V see the real value in those plans.

the LG Optimus Version on AT&T is called the Thrive (prepaid), and Phoenix (contract).

Lets talk about the prepaid.

Each of the following options are available to customers who choose the Smartphone $0.10/min Plan or Smartphone $2/day Unlimited Talk and Text Plan. Prepaid customers who choose a smartphone like the LG Thrive must choose a data package in order to use data services.
  • NEW: $25 FOR 500MB
  • $5 for 10MB
  • $15 for 100MB
AT&T is also adding value to data pay-per-use pricing for non-smartphone customers with five times the data for the same price. The pricing is $0.01 per 5kb

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
So, compare to the Optimus . . . 300 minutes and unlimited text/data = $25.

You could talk 300 minutes on the AT&T Thrive for $30.00, or you could talk all month for $60. BUT, you've got to add a ridiculously priced data plan!!!! A smartphone would eat up 10mb or 100mb just like that, so forget those.
For a measly $25 you can add 500MB (ok, still NOT alot of data for $25).

the phone is comparable in price (considering the Optimus V has been from 149-199). the ATT Thrive is $179.

So, another ploy by AT&T to milk customers for every nickel and dime they can on a data plan. Pay per use is 1cent per 5k(that's getting down the the nitty gritty).

SO, IF YOU GOT AN OPTIMUS V, REALIZE THE VALUE!!!!!!!

I appreciate AT&T's GoPhone service for having super-cheap "pay as you go" plans and super-cheap phones to use with them. I just ported my landline onto one of those, to "park" the number while I decide if I want to keep it or not.

But I can't imagine it would make much sense to use a smartphone with one of those plans -- not with those data charges.

Upvote 0
It makes you see the value in Virgin Mobile's plans.

even if you went with the unlimited talk (virgin = 60 ) (att = 30x$2=60).

You still end up paying a outrageous $$$$$ for data to actually USE the phone as smartphone. even at the lowest 500MB = $25, you're talking about $85 a month.

I just had to laugh my a&& off when I see this new phone launched.

Upvote 0
The big 3 never wanted their customers to go the pre paid route,so they come up with these outrages pricing so maybe they will see a contract is a better value,my very first cell phone back in the late 90's was a verizon prepaid analog phone it was almost as big as a cordless phone,and it cost 10.00 dollars for 10 minutes talk time,talk about corporate greed,and it still continues today.

Upvote 0
The big 3 never wanted their customers to go the pre paid route,so they come up with these outrages pricing so maybe they will see a contract is a better value,my very first cell phone back in the late 90's was a verizon prepaid analog phone it was almost as big as a cordless phone,and it cost 10.00 dollars for 10 minutes talk time,talk about corporate greed,and it still continues today.

I suspect they will slowly be more competitve in the pre paid market as more and more people go the pre paid route.

Upvote 0
I suspect they will slowly be more competitve in the pre paid market as more and more people go the pre paid route.

I still think this could happen if these pre paid companies start adding more high end smartphones,their are still a lot of hard core tech buffs who like the latest and greatest,regardless of the cost,and the big 3 know this.

Upvote 0
I still think this could happen if these pre paid companies start adding more high end smartphones,their are still a lot of hard core tech buffs who like the latest and greatest,regardless of the cost,and the big 3 know this.

Eventually I think this will happen but the big providers will still try to squeeze every penny out of us in the mean time. I think the number of new subscibers that VM picked up will probably raise a few eyebrows with the major carriers and have them putting more thought into this market.

Essentially right now smart phones are a hand held PC so given time they will get better faster and cheaper. The Optimus is the first smartphone that ive felt was worth the money and without a BS contract. My next smart phone wont be until this ones lost or broken and hopefully by then theres going to be the equivalent of the optimus on 4G with full flash support.

Upvote 0
Eventually I think this will happen but the big providers will still try to squeeze every penny out of us in the mean time. I think the number of new subscibers that VM picked up will probably raise a few eyebrows with the major carriers
I remember reading that VM added 800000 new customers on the first quarter of this year. Pretty impresive numbers. Competition like that will eventually reign in the absurd prices of the big 3.

Upvote 0
Sounds like AT&T trying to get more customers by selling Optimus, but AT&T doesn't really want customers to use Optimus for internet browsing. We're lucky VM is now more generous with data planning. Previously VM data plan was $20 per 50mb, which was more expensive than AT&T's $20 per 100mb.

I heard that T-Mobile is also planning on getting the Optimus

Upvote 0
Don't they already have it as Optimus T?

Anyway, saw the weekly ads heralding the LG Thrive on front pages (I think it was Radio Shack's) over the weekend and I also thought - wait a minute, isn't that just another Optimus modification? What's the big deal? Did a search and sure enough... just another wireless carrier jumping on the badwagon somewhat belatedly.

What tickled me pink, was a discussion on one site I cam across during my googling, where some poster pointed out this exact notion, that AT&T's deal is a rip-off compared to better options with alternative prepaid carriers. I was quite amused reading comments of some lemmings, that prepaid plans & phones from MVNOs like VM & Cricket are for lowlife welfare trash & pusher thugs; and dignified people would rather pay through the nose but have the peace of mind, knowing they are on the network that covers "94% of americans" (or whatever).
Yes, according to some folks, apparently people in this forum (including me) are white trash paying for their wireless service with drug money :)
Kinda reminded me of that sentiment that people who download music for free are funding terrorism...

Upvote 0
T-Mobile already has the Optimus - - - The Optimus T.

Sounds like AT&T trying to get more customers by selling Optimus, but AT&T doesn't really want customers to use Optimus for internet browsing. We're lucky VM is now more generous with data planning. Previously VM data plan was $20 per 50mb, which was more expensive than AT&T's $20 per 100mb.

Upvote 0
Maksi said:
I was quite amused reading comments of some lemmings, that prepaid plans & phones from MVNOs lik VM & Cricket are for lowlife welfare trash & pusher thugs; and dignified people would rather pay through the nose but have the peace of mind, knowin they are on the network that covers "94% of americans" (or whatever). Yes, according to some folks, apparently people in this forum (including me) are white trash paying for their wireless service with drug money

A friend of mine is paying $60/month contract on her flip-phone. But just
because her phone carrier is AT&T that makes her more 'classy' and not a
'trash'? Yeah right!! :D I bet some of those ppl from that forum are just
jealous and can't wait to dump their $60/month flip-dumbphone contract and get the Optimus V! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones