• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG Power MMS and group messaging issues

LG Power

Lurker
Jun 11, 2015
Hi,

I own a LG Power CDMA-V phone (lollipop 5.0). The stock messaging app on this phone does not have a group messaging option (i.e. group texting contained in a single thread). In order to remedy this, I've tried downloading a number of third-party messaging apps (i.e. group sms pro, textra, chomp sms, handcent sms, google messenger, etc.) The problem is that although these apps provide group messaging capability they are incapable of sending and receiving MMS messages. Straight Talk has informed me that the APN settings for this phone are preconfigured and cannot provide me with my APN settings for these third party apps. I found a link online for ST tracfone APN settings but was still unable to remedy the problem. At this point it seems I have to choose between the stock app with no group messaging or a third-party app that can't send or receive MMS. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your prompt response. I know that many of these messaging apps do no resolve the MMS functionality issues. I've tried Google Hangouts which I believe does resolve both issues, but by making Hangouts my default SMS it still will not send messages to a message recipient's default SMS (unless, of course, they also use Hangouts as their default messaging platform).

Upvote 0
Sign out of Hangouts and just use it as SMS (update those settings), it works like any regular SMS app that way. It may take you back to your initial issue though. Give it a shot and see what happens.

Edit: you can actually stay signed in but you have to send the message as SMS, not a HO message. You can select that when creating/sending. I just find it easier to not be signed in as I don't use all of HO's features.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had the same issue with my LGL22C Power on Lollipop 5.x. I Finally got chomp to send MMS messages and receive them to, with these setting on a Straight Talk Verizon Network:

Correct MMS APN Settings for Verizon
In chomp go to Settings > SMS & MMS Settings > MMS Settings (enable Manually Configure APN if required) and enter the following:

MMSC: http://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms
MMS Proxy:
MMS Port: 80

Send size limit must be 1mb (no limit will not work).

Also please enable activate mobile data in chomp settings > SMS and MMS settings (no setting in Lollipop).

Then send yourself a MMS and you should receive it.

I had messed with it like for 5 days on and off.

; )

Good Luck!

JF

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones