• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for a StraightTalk Android phone to root.

RS2K

Lurker
Aug 7, 2012
Hello,

I'm currently in the process of looking for a straight talk phone to root. The main thing I'll be using it for is for GPS, messaging (mostly incoming) and tethering to a laptop for emergency server management via html and possibly SSH. I'll also be using the phone to talk of course.

Out of the android phones available, is their one that may work better than the others for rooting and tethering?

I won't be playing games or anything on the phone, so I don't care about the processor or RAM on the phone, but I DO want a phone that has a fast interface. This is important to me. waiting 2 seconds for the phone to pop up or the dialer to start working is VERY VERY frustrating.

A phone that will work with their BYOD plan will work as well. :D

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Hello,

I'm currently in the process of looking for a straight talk phone to root. The main thing I'll be using it for is for GPS, messaging (mostly incoming) and tethering to a laptop for emergency server management via html and possibly SSH. I'll also be using the phone to talk of course.

Out of the android phones available, is their one that may work better than the others for rooting and tethering?

I won't be playing games or anything on the phone, so I don't care about the processor or RAM on the phone, but I DO want a phone that has a fast interface. This is important to me. waiting 2 seconds for the phone to pop up or the dialer to start working is VERY VERY frustrating.

A phone that will work with their BYOD plan will work as well. :D

Thanks for any advice in advance!

I would suggest the Galaxy Nexus. Only $350 on Google's own website. It's a nexus device so rooting shouldn't be much of a problem, just do it as soon as you get it, because it wipes the entire memory when you root it. (You could actually probably forgo rooting with this though because it already has the jelly bean update and everyone says it is great and smooth.)

I however, would not suggest Straightalk if you are planning on tethering to your laptop. I know they advertise "unlimited", but I have heard many reports that if you go over 100-200Mb per day, you may get a call or text from Straighttalk warning you about usage, and if this is repeated, they will reject your service.

You can find hints of this in their terms of service (I actually read the whole thing), and this is the reason I had to forgo straight talk for tmobile. If you don't think this is true, look through the straighttalk forum, or google it some more, people have had these problems.

I would, however, suggest tmobile prepaid. If you buy that same galaxy nexus for $350, you can pay $30 a month for 100 minutes and 5 gigs of 4G internet throttled down to EDGE after the first 5 gigs. Whatever you do, do your research a bit more, I came very close to screwing myself and going with straight talk.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones